cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we still send missed spam/ham to despamchecker.plus.com to train Postini?

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Should we still send missed spam/ham to despamchecker.plus.com to train Postini?

I'm with PlusNet BBYW Option 3, and NOT on the postini trial.  I've been religiously sending email incorrectly marked as [-spam-] to notspam@despamchecker.plus.com and email that isn't marked as spam but should have been to spam@despamchecker.plus.com
I understand PlusNet are about to start transferring all users to the new Postini spam system.  So, should I continue to forward my incorrectly marked or otherwise spam/ham to the above addresses?  Will this do any good?!!!  Is there a better alternative now?
Yours,
Martin
21 REPLIES 21
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: Should we still send missed spam/ham to despamchecker.plus.com to train Postini?

Quote from: snozboz
should I continue to forward my incorrectly marked or otherwise spam/ham to the above addresses?

No Point.  Sad
godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Should we still send missed spam/ham to despamchecker.plus.com to train Postini?

For indicating new types of spam, send untagged spam as an attachment to spam@postini.com, there is no 'notspam' address I am aware of.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi godsell4, can I ask where that information came from as it's not something I'm personally aware of?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I believe he uses Postini at work (not on Plusnet).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Adam1V
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Hi godsell4, can I ask where that information came from as it's not something I'm personally aware of?

Its on their website.
Clicky
Not applicable

Have checked Adam's link as I understand that F9 customers are already on Postini.  I understand it but am not sure how it can be done using webmail.  Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?
snozboz
Rising Star

So far, it seems the answer is that postini offer an address to report missed spam, but they don't offer an address to report email incorrectly marked as spam, and it's not clear whether PlusNet's implementation of postini has either feature.  So therefore there's no point in using the despamchecker.plus.com addresses once we're all moved across to postini.
Is there a member of staff around to check this, and give the official line?
snozboz
Rising Star

The Help pages about Spam still talk about the despamchecker.plus.com addresses, and don't mention postini.
Please would a member of staff get back to me on this?
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: snozboz
...  postini offer an address to report missed spam, but they don't offer an address to report email incorrectly marked as spam ...

Correct. Postini allow you to report new spam to them that got through to your mailbox. Postini are so great of course there is no need for a notspam address.  Tongue Last sentance was a joke.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
avisoft
Grafter

This really must be clarified on the PN website - eg the Spam Protection Guide page, which still says forward to spam@ or notspam@dspamchecker.plus.net
I even have several redirects set up for names that were always spam set to send any mail straight to  the spam@ address.
But on the plus (!) side, the amount of spam has decreased dramatically  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you have to be a magician to find out  Grin
But look at http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1200939856.htm
Angry Sad Huh Cry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Guys, I know we've been a bit late off the mark in getting the website updated and for that I apologise.
I've booked a workshop with the relevant parties tomorrow so we can make some progress with this. What we're likely to do is change the forwarding addresses we're using. We also need to ask that emails are now forwarded as attachments as opposed to inline and look into updating the Webmail plugin.
To be honest, we'll need to overhaul the spam pages entirely when we start offering white-listing/black-listing etc. but I think it's important we've got accurate info there in the meantime.
So far, I've found this page and this page that reference the @despamchecker forwarding addresses. If anybody knows of any others then please do let me know.
I think we're going to go with @spamtraining as the forwarding address this time round.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

There's also this page on UserTools Bob.
Once the details are stable PUG can get this Tutorial updated.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Bob,
The following was sent as a reply to a ticket of mine today.
Bob Milton.
Copy follows
"The following comment was added to the Question
Dear Mr Milton,
I have had a look at the header that you have pasted into the ticket but it is not complete.  Below i have attached a guide from our portal with instruction on how to copy the full email header.  If you could follow this and then respond to this ticket we will be able to look into your problem further.
http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_troubleshooting/email_troubleshooting.shtml
Below is some further information on spam.  I hope it helps.
Please check our Spam Protection Guide to find out how you can combat unwanted emails:
http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml
You may also want to visit the blog articles we posted recently, which offer practical guides to help you remove spam as an issue:
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/17/using-the-manage-my-mail-tool/
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/17/emailspam-deliverables-update-part-ii/
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch."