cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should providers be more accountable?

neiljay
Dabbler

Should providers be more accountable?

Quoting the BBC News website, "The way broadband speeds are advertised is misleading and should be changed, a cross-party group of 50 MPs has said. Internet providers are not in breach of current guidelines, even if only 10% of customers can obtain their fastest advertised speed, the group said. The British Infrastructure Group is calling for greater powers to enable consumers to hold providers to account."

My recent problems with Plusnet's broadband service underscore this issue in that it is extremely difficult for me to prove conclusively that the provision is significantly less than advertised. Whenever Plusnet look (and do their tech magic) the line is restored, they it decays again and the process repeats.

Is there any way to constantly monitor line speed?

3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should providers be more accountable?

When you signed up you would have been given a speed estimate which comes from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput and if your sync speeds are less than those you have an argument

If they aren't you don't

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@neiljay wrote:
Whenever Plusnet look (and do their tech magic) the line is restored, they it decays again and the process repeats.

As you have another thread, I'll reply over there.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderators Note.

Thread locked in favour of linked thread above.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still