cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i worry about my figues

Hillfort2012

Should i worry about my figues

Hi Guys Hoping someone can explain these figures to me. I moved hoem recently and for the first time I have been having majer troubles with my broadband connection. this resulted in me hanging around for almost a month with a really poor service while both plusnet and bt tried to get to the bottom of the problem that I had been experianceng. I have had the engineer out and had both the master socket and the line outside from the pole replaced. this insteased my test speed for 6mb to 8.5mb.
sine then my net has been pretty good or at least better than it was when i moved into the property. however when i ckeck the logs on my router I see a lot of errors being counted up these are mostly in the downward direction. could you please tell me if i should be worried about these and explain in plan english if possible what error seconds are.
cheeers

Uptime: 5 days, 22:33:45
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 11.447
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,99 / 1,47
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,5 / 32,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,5 / 4,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10.364 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 425 / 1.372.242.044
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 36.648
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 53.634
7 REPLIES 7
Twills
Grafter

Re: Should i worry about my figues

Hi Hillfort2012
Stats are all good, FEC is error correct used in conjunction with interleaving. FEC errors just means interleaving is working Smiley There is a bit of well written info on the kitz website - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/error_correction.htm#FEC
Your SNR is a touch low but you have quite a short line so if it can handle running at 4 then thats great. If the line struggled to handle a margin of 4 it will just raise it to 6 anyway.
If you are having problems with the line still just raise a fault here - <a href="https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults"<u>Raise a fault</u></a> if the service is running fine, dont worry about it, the settings on your line are just doing their job fine!
regards
Twills.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

how about uncapping the upload then
Twills
Grafter

Oh go on then Smiley
Modify issued upstream will be uncapped sometime tomorrow. Hillfort2012 your upstream will go from a 440 to something more closer to 1000, occasionally your downstream will dip slightly but as your line is short you will benefit more from an uncapped upstream.
Regards
Twills.
Hillfort2012

will this change come through automaticly as my router still shows 440 upload speed. I am also see a lot of LOGIN wireless station [84:7a:88:45:e2:ec] can't get authorized. errors in my configuration logs not sure what this means as my pc is running on an ethernet cable at the moment. all of my other devices are wirless.
Twills
Grafter

The change will be automatic but your PPP will need to drop and reconnect for the router to see it (turn router on and off again if it isnt done automatically) I can only suggest to check your equipment connecting wirelessly. If any of them are not connected due to password incorrect or similar then thats why (Mac keys are hard to check on some devices but they all have one). Otherwise its a neighbour trying to connect and failing because they don't have the password so the router is doing its job Smiley
Twills.
Hillfort2012

thanks both xboxes are working fine as i was on them this morning and i am using my tablet just now my smart phone and tv have not mentioned any problems so i will just ignore it for now.
hadden
Grafter

FYI, the Mac address prefix "84:7A:88" is probably for an HTC mobile phone.