cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i stay or should i go??

martin2006
Grafter

Should i stay or should i go??

i have been with plusnet for as long as i can remember and i have to say its generally been excellent and i still get a rock solid 7mb on my your way pro legacy package, which i know i could get a bit cheaper but not that bothered. thing is my local exchange is LLU with sky and its not due to go  BT adsl2 until about july i think. i am thinking of getting sky to do me a deal as i have all the telly pretty much, i have unlimited phone with BT so was thinking of getting them to do a deal to take on everything plus i get faster broadband i think ?
is there likely to be any benefit to waiting for the local exchange to go adsl2 and staying with plusnet?
22 REPLIES 22
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Should i stay or should i go??

...and no fibre available now or in the near future?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
martin2006
Grafter

hi, not that i can see.....  this is a link to my exchange..............
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDCLI
The_10th
Grafter

Just in case you weren't aware with Sky their anytime calls package don't include 0845 numbers. Probably not a deal breaker but easy to assume it is included. I see you didn't include Stalk Stalk in your options, wisely I think  Wink
If you do go to Sky for their BB then not too long ago I was offered free unlimited broadband for a year to switch over with phone (this was at the time of the 6 month unlimited offer but an 'under the counter' offer) so you could ask for that if they don't offer you it or better.
martin2006
Grafter

hi, thanks for the advice, i'll give them a call and see what they do as a deal, i did get some really good offers before when i spoke to them but at the time they wouldnt let me have sky anytime+ without their own BB so i got an xbox and used skyplayer, which is pretty cool for movies, as they used to throttle back their BB at peak times which isnt the case now as far as i can see
i think fibre is a way off for me so the best estimate i get from sky is 9-16 mbps
stalk stalk, nicely put, were horrendous to deal with, i happend to do a line test by putting in my phone number and then some woman phoned up who i am sure was trained by the gestapo, so they can put their BB up their router in my opinion..........
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You are right, the stalk stalk group have a nasty habit of doing that, especially if in the past you went into a CPW shop asking questions and they stuck your phone number into their checker. There seems to be some evidence that there may be slamming going on as well  Shocked
The_10th
Grafter

Doesn't surprise me if true @anotherone. They are a terrible company from my experience. I put my telephone number in some time ago and every now and then they turn up at the door asking "has anyone been to tell you about free calls/broadband?" or "did you receive the pack in the post?"
@spotter - Must be paid by commission only as I once spoke to them after checking and went through the costings and then they said so ok to switch over now? I said I would need to think and took the wind out of their sales (sic) so to speak! Then every day they called back and never got to speak but when I did cut them off speaking and said 'not interested and stop calling'. Not the way to sell and pressure sales has the opposite effect for me. If the product is that good it would sell itself.
Good luck with Sky as they can be a bit elusive with 'deals' too  Wink
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've never dealt with Talk Talk (thankfully), but from what I've read in the past, don't they have a nasty habit of slamming?
Got a junk letter from them a few days ago (addressed to a previous occupant of the house), and that went straight into the paper recycling bin.
Anotherone
Champion

You should have written "Not known at this address, Return to Sender" on it, and popped it in the postbox (they may have to pay the return postage)  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

Persistent offenders get a free phone call, usually works, "addressee is deceased" also does the trick.
Most tentative enquiries I give a false number, and post-code.
I live at 27a, Letsby Avenue !
or sometimes ... 221b Baker Street
Postcode .... where I used to work, diff name etc.
For deliveries and postal mail I ask for.
My initials, first one is true, second one relates to company to help trace spam mail, ie STT for Simon TalkTalk (Made up)
martin2006
Grafter

I put my telephone number in some time ago and every now and then they turn up at the door asking "has anyone been to tell you about free calls/broadband?" or "did you receive the pack in the post?"

@ The 10th, i remember now, i got 2 young podgy little scroats turn up at my door asking if i knew about the free broadband and the conversation lasted about 30 seconds proabaly down to me telling them i aint surprised its free if you talk to people like s%*t, who would pay for it, didnt see them again.....
well i have made the jump after being with plusnet for as long as i can remember, i got a standard deal of free unlimited BB and calls for 6 monhs and then i think everyting including line rental is £25 / month, i am paying £20 / mth for my old legacy your way pro, which has been brilliant and was really reluctant to end it as its no longer available, and i pay about £18 a month to BT so as long as i get the near the estimate of 9-16 mbps and the upload will be 3 times quicker i think, it shouldnt be too bad. i wouldnt hesitate to come back to plusnet if it ever goes to fibre, as i think i am now paying sky nearly £90/ mth after the 6 month period so i aint really impressed with getting a bog standard deal........
these forums are the best BB forums i have ever used.......... i'm filling up Cry
martin2006
Grafter

i'm back with plusnet!!!!!!!!!!!!
just spoke to sky broadband and it turns out that after i have just set up all my wireless downstairs to 5ghz using my netgear dgnd3300 and wnce3001, networked my telly sky box and xbox, as my next doors nuclear powered bt homehub  makes my 2.4ghz useless, they wont let me use my own router and would have to use theirs which is type n 2.4, that blows.......
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome back Spotter Smiley Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
martin2006
Grafter

thanks Strat,
phew, that was close  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure they don't slam you and that everything is cancelled, confirm in an email to be sure.