Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should PN speed match IP Profile?

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Should PN speed match IP Profile?

According to my router logs, over a year or so, I get an average sync of 6000.
According to BT's speed test my IP Profile currently is 5500.
According to PN's "current line speed", I'm on 5000. (BT say my throughput is 4560. Is this due to the PN limit?)
Should the PN speed be exactly the same as the IP Profile, or is it typical to be a little lower?

It's just a query really. I don't have a particular speed issue as 5mbps is fine by me anyway. Just curious.
Although I should add that I haven't checked BT's speed on a regular basis, so there is a chance that maybe my IP Profile averages lower than I'm currently reading.
I do get occasional "blips" with disconnects that sometimes can last for hours and strangely recover if I make or receive a phone call (I've ruled out internal wiring and equipment), although this doesn't happen often and it appears to not affect my PN speed, which is good.
As I say, I don't really have an issue, just I'm curious how the PN speed is calculated.
Cheers,
Tim.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Should PN speed match IP Profile?

Yes they should match, PlusNet get an update from the BT systems twice a day (i think) to make any adjustments.
If your IP profile has only gone up in the last day then Plus might not have caught up yet.
There have been a few other threads around for people with stuck profiles though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've seen a few examples recently where the IP profile has been different across 2 of the BT systems we use, the one that sends the reports about IP profile seems to be behind the other which causes the profile on our side to be behind too. I'm gathering examples now about this so I can get a problem raised.
ps I've updated your profile on our side to match the speedtester one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Cool. Cheers Smiley
As I say, was just curious really. Just it seemed to be sat at 5000 for a long time.
Of course now my sync will probably drop and knock it back down again  Grin
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Glad to be of service, you know where I am if you need any help.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Quote from: deadkenny
Of course now my sync will probably drop and knock it back down again  Grin

Turns out, that's what's happened. Only took one re-sync and it dropped to 5400 on my router (and only 192 upstream), so the line speed was knocked down to 4500.
Problem is my router will happily continue one at that rate even though it could resync at a better rate.
Just rebooted it and it's synced back to 7200 down and 448 up. How long that will last is another matter.
Does the PlusNet line speed eventually adjust back up if it remains stable, or does it just remain at the lowest it synced at?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It normally takes 3 days for the ipRate to go back up and the Plusnet systems follow that
deadkenny
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
It normally takes 3 days for the ipRate to go back up and the Plusnet systems follow that

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it Smiley