cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I stay where I am?

hulls
Grafter

Should I stay where I am?

I did put this in the New Allowances thread, but it got lost amidst all the other (quite valid) points, so here it is again.
I'm on Premier Option 1 £21.99 a month.  I occasionally go over 8GB download in a month, but can't ever remember going over 9GB.
So other than losing the "free" usage between 8:00am and 4:00pm, and 120 minutes of VOIP time, how else do I lose out if I move to BBYW option 2?  Huh
One other point.  I took advantage of the £5 off for 6 months, by signing up for a year.  So do I have to wait for that year to be up before moving product, assuming I wanted to move?
John
20 REPLIES 20
waldron
Grafter

Re: Should I stay where I am?

Have you had a look at http://kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnetfees.htm.
If you scroll down there is a traffic shaping calculator, and a product comparison tool.  I am in a similar position and thinking of moving to BBYW2.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
There'd be some differences to your peak P2P and Usenet speeds, but otherwise it's mainly just the differences in cost and usage.
You'd be able to change your product type whilst under the annual contract.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks, it is tempting.  I noticed another difference.  As well as losing 120 minutes VOIP time, it would move from  any time to evenings and weekends.  I don't use it a lot at the moment, but may do so in the future.
I don't use much P2P, or Usenet.  I VPN occasionally, would that be affected?
John
James
Grafter

Nope, not in the slightest.
geewizz
Grafter

Hi hulls (I recognise your name from the free-online forums of many moons ago Smiley )
I made the switch from Premier Option 1 to BBYW3 in December and I have found it to be no problem for usage. I've failed miserably in all attempts to go over the limit and just when I thought I had a fighting chance this month (with spending a lot of time at home during the day) Plusnet only go and increase the limit!
hulls
Grafter

OK I'm convinced.
How do I go about arranging for the switch to BBYW option 2 from my next billing date (17th) (and can I have the free router as well? (I know - cheeky aren't I?)) Grin
John
geewizz
Grafter

Head over to the member centre, login, stick "upgrade" iin the search box and then follow your nose.
Someone will probably stick a link in now.
BTW, the Option 3 is £2 cheaper than what you were on. Might as well go for that and give yourself a good bit of headroom. Also, when it comes to shouting in the forums, "I PAY £20 a MONTH FOR THIS!!!" holds much more sway than "I PAY £15 a MONTH FOR THIS!!!", I think.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
...How do I go about arranging for the switch to BBYW option 2 from my next billing date (17th) (and can I have the free router as well? (I know - cheeky aren't I?)) Grin
John

Go to the help section and raise a ticket requesting the move and also ask to claim the wireless 4 port router (deferred cost as long as you stay on that product or better for 12 months). You have to pay postage for this though, £6.99 if I remember correctly.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't think you can get a free router until after your existing 12 month deal runs out
ginnym
Grafter

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I'm currently on Broadband Plus up to 8mb but can't remember what the terms of it were or what the smallprint of the deal is.  It seems to be the same price as BBYW Option 2 (although my BBPlus seems to have varied from £14.99 to £9.99 and is now back at £14.99) but with different peak periods.  I never use more than 2GB per month so is there any benefit to me changing to BBYW or might I just as well stay where I am for now?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you only use 2GB you might as well go for the basic £9.99 option and pay for extra GB as used at £1 each!
ginnym
Grafter

Never thought of that!!  When it says Option 1 is not suitable for VPN, what does it mean (sorry, as you can see I'm not very clued up about this sort of thing)?  I connect to my office via their VPN - it wouldn't affect that would it?
Mand
Grafter

@hulls,
You can't go for the deferred router until your existing 12 month contract expires (as this carries a deferred contract), when's it due to end?
@ginnym,
On Option 1 your VPN would be rate limited, which wouldn't be a problem if it was light use or small files, but if you were using it heavily or needing to transfer large files I imagine you'd find it unsuitable.
ginnym
Grafter

It's mainly just for checking emails.  I've been working from home for the last 6 weeks and still haven't gone over 2GB per month so I guess I'd be deemed a "light" user.  However, I tend to be the type of person who likes to pay a fixed amount and not worry about going over limits (even if it's only £1 per GB) so I'd probably go for BBYW Option 2 if I was to change.  Is there any difference between that and my current Broadband Plus up to 8mb that would make it worth changing or staying? (the peak period is better on my existing Plus account).