cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I reset my router during the initial 10-day period for better speed?

xander

Should I reset my router during the initial 10-day period for better speed?

Someone told me that I should reset my router once a day in the initial 10-day period; is that true?  If so, how do I reset it?  Should I do it through the router software, or can I just turn it off and on again?
Is there anything else I should do during the initial period to getter better speeds in the future?
2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Should I reset my router during the initial 10-day period for better speed?

You don't need to do it every day but maybe 2 or 3 times during the period so it forces a re-sync and thus tries to achieve the best sync rate it can.
Just switch the router off for 30 seconds then back on.
The only thing to do is run the BT speedtester after 13 days and check your IP profile (used to determine the maximum data rate BT allow on the line) matches the figure found on high speed broadband page on the member centre (under connection settings) agree. If your downstream sync rate is > 2000 but your high speed broadband figure is much less then you may have a stuck profile so report it via a ticket.
If you are unsure post the BT test figures, all your line stats (upstream/downstream line attenuation and margins) and the high speed broadband figures and we can see if they are correct.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Should I reset my router during the initial 10-day period for better speed?

Hi xander,
That's excellent advice from Peter, the only thing to add is to do those re-syncs in daylight around mid-dayish if you can. This is when noise levels tend to be lowest and you'll hopefully achieve the best sync.
If you can post your current Router ADSL stats we can give a more informed comment. (That's Downstream and Upstream Sync (connection) speeds, noise margins (SNRM) and attenuations).
Regards.