cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I raise a ticket?

jorvikmik
Grafter

Should I raise a ticket?

Just about 3 weeks since last speed fluctuation problem and now down as low as 950kbps this evening at times. Ussually runs between 6000 & 7200kbps. BT engineer gets 7600kbps plugged into my master socket. I have modem plugged staright in same and no extension wiring. Have two independant PC's with own modem routers which both give same results. Could it be BT Openreach doing any tests on line as they are coming out to fit extra phone line with adsl for my son next door. Should I raise a ticket or wait for BT Openreach engineer who is coming out to the island to survey for the new line. I am sure I could talk him into checking the line as he is stuck her for a while.
BT Test
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2731 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
------------------------------------------------------
DSL Connection
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 8.61 / 43.08
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 0.5 / 2.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
TIA - Mike
9 REPLIES 9
Redmarshall
Grafter

Re: Should I raise a ticket?

Hi Mike
It seems you have a good Line Profile (7000) and connection speeds.
Try re-booting your router - but only do it once.
John
jorvikmik
Grafter

I did that John, but twice as I swapped to another modem and then replaced the original - will that have mucked it up?
Mike
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Can you clarify whether you are using a USB modem or a router with a modem in it?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jorvikmik
Grafter

Both main and spare are speedtouch modem routers - used plugged straight into master socket via BT filter with just one phone attached, no extension cable. Have also tried new filters and unplugging phone. Had same problem a few weeks ago and it took a couple of weeks to get sorted out. No noise on the line, did a quiete line test.
Mike
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
Did you notice much difference in throughput speeds between the two different routers?
jorvikmik
Grafter

No noticeable difference but speed was fluctuating quite a bit on either. Came back up to 6600kbps this morning and now about 5000 at 1415hrs.
Only 4 others on this microwave link and they are on BTinternet. Tested one at between 7000 & 7500 most of the time and he is much further away from the exchange than me.
Mike
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.
Can you try unscrewing the faceplate from your master socket and plug the filter into the test socket on the bottom half and see if that helps your sync speeds at all?  Also, try using a different filter (whilst plugged into test socket).
Mark
Grafter

Hi Mike.
I dont think James read your post fully.
I would suggest that you raise a fault via the website and if you want, post up the ticket ID and we'll keep an eye on it for you.
jorvikmik
Grafter

Thanks lads for the advice. At the moment it has gone back to normal so I'll just watch it and see what happens. If it goes dodgy again we have BT engineers coming to the island in the next couple of weeks and as I'll be giving them a lift plus making coffee's for them I am sure they will check the line out for me.
I suppose I shouldn't grumble as the folk on the next island are going to have to go satellite for I think a 2mb connection. Some of them are only a mile from us but 15 mile or so from their own exchange.
Thanks again - Mike