cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my router switched on at all times?

glosoldspot
Grafter

Should I keep my router switched on at all times?

Our old router has been playing up so Plusnet have sent us a new one. In the process of contacting them I mentioned that we always turn our router off when we aren't using it to save energy, for security, and so radio waves aren't pinging round our house constantly (don't know if any of these are valid issues by the way!).
The Plusnet guy said it's best to leave it permanently on as the BT line will read our turning the router of as a dropped connection each time and will reduce ine speed in order to stabalise the coneection better.....is this so? Since joining Plusnet i have notice a drop in speed (we used to get between 4 - 5 kbps, now its more like 1 - 2 kbps). Do most of you leave it on all the time?
My question is when I connect my new router should I leave it pemanently switched on for maximum speed, and if so will the line reset itself over a few days back to my maxmum possible speed by leaving it on, or do I need Plusnet to reset my line and begin another training period for my line in order to get back to my best connection speed possible?
Thanks for any advice and help.
22 REPLIES 22
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Should I keep my router switched on at all times?

Mine is on permanently and yes it is true that switching a router on and off will upset the BT equipment in your exchange.
It will see your switching on and off as connection instability and drop your speed to try and stabilise it.
If this has already happened, leaving the router on should eventually restore your speed but a line reset from PN will help.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nadger
Rising Star

I assume that you've got Thomson TG585v8
I leave mine on 24/7 and, unlike earlier versions the v8 is well ventilated and doesn't over heat. Assuming you've set up security correctly this shouldn't be a problem and a router will only cost pence to run.
As Strat says, you should see normal speeds in a few days time.
colintivy
Rising Star

I also had router trouble when my PN supplied BT Voyager 210 (which was on 24/7 and warm) started dropping connections at an increasing rate until it was almost unusable. I replaced it with a new wired Belkin which has now been on for 3 months and has not dropped out once. What I have noted is that the synch speed is now a good bit lower than the with the V210 (when it chose to) but is stable. The noise margin is fairly steady at about 15db but there seems to be no sign of any update occurring. The V210 achieved 10db at times and around 3 Megs.
The post mortem on the V210 showed that the electrolytics C118 & C119 have blown, which others have found. Replacements have been obtained and will be fitted asap. It will be interesting to find out how it will respond.  
edgeways
Grafter

Re Switching off at night.
For the past six months or so I have been swiching off at night with no ill effect to my line speed .
I understand that one disconnection per 24 hrs should  not trigger the Exchange Dslam to reset the target snr higher thus lowering line speed.
I deliberately disconnect at night to avoid possble multiple line drops caused by night time Rf interference in this area. These would, almost certainly cause an increase in target snr.
Swithing off at night, has in this case, definately improved my line stability and hence line speed.
However I stress that it should only be done once per 24hrs.
Also my connection is Dsl Max, I don't know if the same applies to ADSL2 +
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Mike (edgeways)
glosoldspot
Grafter

Ok, so if I leave my new router switched on permanently the line speed should pick up again after a few days, meaning I don't need a line reset from PN?
In their reply to me they mentioned something called a DLM, which was described as sort of a traing period every 72 hrs or so on a line.....is this what will get my speed back up?
Do others agree that turning my router off only overnight should'n t affect this?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Permanently on is usually best. Once a day is acceptable providing that doesn't mean it is turned on during the evening. There is more background noise during the evening so generally routers sync a bit slower is turned on after about 4pm - this may leave you with speeds a little slower.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: glosoldspot
and so radio waves aren't pinging round our house constantly

Admittedly I'm not keen on that either which is why I use a ralink2500 chipset based wifi card. It can be put into AccessPoint mode so that you can use it as an accesspoint (like your router provides) and you can turn it off in windows when you don't need it to be used. The card remembers its mode setting so when you next start the PC it automatically goes into AP mode without you doing anything.
The ralink2500 based cards are becoming quite scarce now as they're older b/g cards whereas everyone wants n based wifi cards now and I've no idea which ones of those support this AP hardware mode.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

My router does not have wireless (Netgear DG834v1). When I wanted to add wireless I bought a wireless access point (Netgear WG602). When the PCs go off so does the WAP; the router stays on (it's on my UPS).
community
Grafter

I switch off everything, including my Thomson 7 router , several times a day but still get an acceptabe speed always.....
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@community: Out of interest, could we see your router stats please? Also, when you turn off do you just kill the power to the router or do you tell it to disconnect first?
glosoldspot
Grafter

ok, so from the replies so far I'm guessing if I leave it on all day but turn it off last thing at night my speed should not be affected.
On jelv's point.....does it make a difference if I just turn it off at the mains (which I do) after I've shutdown my laptop or do I need to tell it to disconnect first...any benefits to that?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The theory is that telling the router to disconnect first, then powering it off is the the safest as it ensures there is nothing actually in progress at the moment of disconnection. If something gets interrupted there is a danger of the exchange misinterpreting it as an error and lower speeds resulting (again theory says it shouldn't, but many of us don't trust the DLM!).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jelv
many of us don't trust the DLM!

NOBODY should EVER trust DLM!!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've always been told to leave the router on all the time, which is what I do unless away from home for an extended period.