Should I just give up?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Should I just give up?

@ankado wrote:

A Sagemcom 2704N.

Hi @ankado

The 2704N is not dual band so that isn't the cause of the Apple devices and the crashing connection.

As for what services are available to you, thanks for posting the information.

The sections marked VDSL means Fibre or FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).

From the estimates given, and Plusnet would use the range A (clean) for ordering purposes, the maximum speed for FTTC would be 23.1Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up. With lows of 16.5Mbps/1Mbps

You are on ADSL and currently getting speed test results of 12.7Mbps down and 0.37Mbps up.

So the increase in download speed of moving to Fibre would be in the range of 125% to 200% of what you are currently  getting on ADSL. I don't know what you're paying just for ADSL currently so you would have to work out if it is financial sensible to move to fibre given the most speed you will get is likely to be just double the current speed.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero

Have you requested that Plusnet uncap your line yet (as suggested by @MisterW) ?

Have you access to another modem/router in case the 2704N has gone bad?

ankado
Dabbler

Is it likely they would have capped it at that level? Why?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

SpendLessTime
Hero

It is the upstream that looks like it may be capped (according to @MisterW in his post https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Should-I-just-give-up/m-p/1357049#M307522 )

Not an ADSL expert but I have seen staff say that it ("a capped upstream") is an option when they order the ADSL line and it normally isn't selected. So the order could have been put through incorrectly. Just a guess though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Is it likely they would have capped it at that level? Why?

ADSL can either be provisioned with a capped upstream of 448kbps or uncapped which will allow upto around 1Mbps depending on your line. For some reason (!) PN seem to sometimes (mostly?) provision with a capped upstream which yours looks like it has been. Uncapping the upstream CAN sometimes reduce the downstream speed a little.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ankado
Dabbler

Here's the result of a PS3 connectivity test.