cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I just give up?

ankado
Dabbler

Should I just give up?

Finally decided that Plusnet can do nothing to improve my service so probably have to just call it a day.

With only one device connected, problems aren't quite as frequent but, have two or more users connected at the same time and it's dreadful.

Tried connecting straight to the BT master socket for a couple of weeks but same problems.

Gaming on a PS3 can be working fine but when another family member even drives up the driveway with an iPhone in the car, the connection drops. Before they even get in the house!

Very little interest yesterday from tech support, who took the mandatory thirty minutes to answer.

She told me to turn the router off and on again and then we would do a speed test.

ok, I said its on again.

Wait for all the lights to come on then we'll do a speed test she said again

lights are now on I said

ok, we'll do a speed test, she said

silence for several minutes

eventually

are you doing it? She asked

doing what? I asked

a speed test she said

ive to do it?

yes

could have told me how!

download speed 12.7

upload speed 0.36

" that's within acceptable limits"

so why doesn't it work? I ask

change the channel setting on the router from "auto" to either 1,6 or 11, she instructed

keep trying different ones to see if it improves, if it doesn't, there's nothing else we can do.

Looks like terminating the contract is all they can suggest too.

20 REPLIES 20
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Should I just give up?

Hi ankado,

Thank you for getting in touch with us via our community forums and I am sorry to hear about the issues you are facing.

From checking your connection and looking at your line stability everything is looking as it should be but obviously depending on what your using the connection for and how many devices are connected can have an adverse affect on your connection. For instance gaming and streaming and downloading at the same time will use an increased amount of bandwidth that  on your connection speed won't perform at it's very best. For something like that you would be better off using a fibre connection which is available for you and offers better speeds and stability.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Upload speed looks a little slow.  Download may be with expected limits depending on how long your line is.  However if your line's running at 12 meg and you're finding it unusably slow, maybe there's something else going on.   Are you accessing over wireless or Ethernet?   Are you sure nothing's running in the background, iPhoto or iCloud backup, Google Drive Sync or similar?

When you say a "connection drops" what actually happens?

ankado
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.

All our devices connect wirelessly.

When I say the connection drops, the game freezes and a broken connection symbol appears on the screen ( it's a PS3). At other times the game "stutters" and characters don't move around smoothly.

Even when not gaming, two or three people just browsing Facebook can have to wait ages for pages to load.

ankado
Dabbler

I understood that a fibre connection wasn't an option?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@ankado

If you want to find out what services are available for you, just enter your phone number at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telephone?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ankado
Dabbler

Thanks. Had a look at that but doesn't mean much to me I'm afraid.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@ankado

If you copy the output and remove your phone number from it, then someone here will be able to tell you what it means. Smiley

sigma359

I have experienced exactly the same issue and have found the problem rests with the wireless function of my modem/router and nothing to do with Plusnet delivery of Internet services.

It is curious to me that it 'seems' Apple products are the cause. I have no issues with Android/Windows tablets or phones - only the iPhone and iPad trying to access my internet wirelessly. On doing so they crash my Belkin modem/router sometimes immediately, sometimes after a few minutes and I have to restart the modem/router to get back on-line. I can have multiple Windows laptops running wirelessly at the same time without any problem.

I would suggest you replace your modem/router as this is likely to resolve your issue.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Upload speed looks a little slow. 

Looks like it's capped to me!. I would suggest the first thing is to get that uncapped, surprised no-one at PN has done that already!.

Don't know much about iPhones but it sounds like it may be uploading a lot when it connects (synching/backup perhaps?). This could well be flooding the upstream and affecting other devices. Uncapping will only give a doubling of the upstream at maximum but may be enough to not affect other devices as much.

OR I could be barking up the wrong tree...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@ankado

What router do you have? If it is a dual band (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) then it may help to have different SSID names on the 2 bands.

ankado
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@ankado

If you copy the output and remove your phone number from it, then someone here will be able to tell you what it means. Smiley

Here it is

ankado
Dabbler

@sigma359 wrote:

I have experienced exactly the same issue and have found the problem rests with the wireless function of my modem/router and nothing to do with Plusnet delivery of Internet services.

It is curious to me that it 'seems' Apple products are the cause. I have no issues with Android/Windows tablets or phones - only the iPhone and iPad trying to access my internet wirelessly. On doing so they crash my Belkin modem/router sometimes immediately, sometimes after a few minutes and I have to restart the modem/router to get back on-line. I can have multiple Windows laptops running wirelessly at the same time without any problem.

I would suggest you replace your modem/router as this is likely to resolve your issue.

I did suspect at one time that it was just some sort of incompatibility with Apple products as problems are much worse when they are also online.

My router is the standard Plusnet one that they give you and is fairly new.

ankado
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@ankado

What router do you have? If it is a dual band (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) then it may help to have different SSID names on the 2 bands.

its the one issued by Plusnet.

A Sagemcom 2704N.

Don't know if it's dual band or not.

ankado
Dabbler

Even as I'm typing this, it's impossible to game on the PS3 at the same time.