cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for the new years contract if might slow down to dialup speed?

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Should I go for the new years contract if might slow down to dialup speed?

Morning spraxyt and Oldjim,
Have downloaded Routerstats earlier but will turn the Telnet interface on later as have to go out now. The downstream noise is currently 14.5 db and upstream 18.0 db. How low should I go when adjusting or should I move down in small steps of 1 or 2 db?
Thanks
Wuz
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My advice would be to leave router settings as they are until you've gathered some operating history so that you know how SNR varies over a typical 24 hour period. I recommend you enable logging to a file - Configuration "Log" tab with the Start new log each day option ticked. By default graphs show the last 1 1/2 hours history (250 points) but you can increase this - Configuration "Graphs" tab - to (say) 1080 for 6 hours. You can drag the graph backwards to see the history for earlier times. It will reposition to the current time on the next update after you stop dragging.
Posting a screen shot of the plot gives us useful background.
I haven't changed target SNR on my line but when/if you choose to do so I think working in steps no larger than 3dB is safest. The reset function needs the current default SNR for your line (the value immediately following a re-sync - 15dB in your case?) and the value you want to aim for, perhaps 12dB for starters. Scaling isn't an exact science so what you actually get might be different. One thing to avoid is causing frequent re-syncs  or a huge number of transmission errors to be generated - the exchange DLM can interpret these as line instability/ problems and up your target noise margin - not the result desired!
David
Note: 3dB represents a factor of 2 on the noise margin.
David
Wuz
Rising Star

Oldjim,
Thanks for the screenprint. I hadn't got the special logon box checked! It opened said "too many errors closing" but worked OK on reopening. Tried to post jpg here but failed. Never done one on this forum and years since I have done it.  I printscreen save in paint and then tried to use the insert image icon above without sucess. How is it done? There is something simple I am not doing.
spraxyt  I  have a log for yesterday now. I presume I would have to do something to save a graph. And then be able to paste it!
Is there any good reason to use both? Now I have DMT I tend to think I should tick the autoconnect on startup and stick with that.
Wuz
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the image is on your computer (rather than uploaded to webspace) you need to attach it to the post using the option made visible when you click Additional Options below the posting text-box.
If you have DMT working there is no point in using Routerstats as well. I was under the impression DMT did not work with your router.
Routerstats can be configured to capture JPEG image files when the required plot(s) fill a screen - selected using the Configuration/Graph tab, left-hand-side Capture Properties options. Or once configured the current plot can be captured by clicking the Capture Now button.
These images would need to be attached to posts as described above. Any text (log) files would need to be posted by enclosing them in [code]…[/code] tags, but these are often rather long.
David
David
Wuz
Rising Star

spraxyt,
I only got DMT working today when I compared my page with Oldjims screenprint and put a tick in the Special logon box.
In view of what you say I will read up on DMT and use that. I attach a screen print taken this morning of the working DMT. I have just loged on and put a tick again in the logon box and this time the autoconnect as well.
I will do as you say and moniter it using DMT rather than Routerstats for a while before trying to change anything as I believe the noise target may reduce automatically.
Many thanks, especially for the Additional options I am kicking myself as I think I looked there but suspect the bottom part of the window was off screen! Another reason for me to moniter until I know what I am doing with DMT (or at least think I know!!)
Thanks again
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK Wus, looking good.
Top LHS of DMT screen, click on <Special <Misc. Options.
In the expert Settings Box, Tick the "unlock experimental area(panel/last Tab)"
Then click Save the Tool setiings (bottom right).
OK back on the main DMT window.
RHS top, click on the grey rh tab with no text.
You should now see a vertical slider for noise margin.
Move it from 100% to 50%. (With a 15dB Target at the exchange, this will reduce it to 12dB - only whilst using DMT to resync)
Click on Apply/resync button and wait for it to happen Smiley
I'd do this in daylight if you can, for best results.
With a 15dB taget if you move the slider to the bottom (10%), the best you can get is 9.8dB.
I'd only go for 12db to start and see if your line is stable without too many errors.
When you do not want /need to use DMT once you've resynced, you can close the window without any problems, just click on the X topRH corner!
Best of luck, post back some results.
Wuz
Rising Star

Evening Anotherone,
Thanks a lot for that, I will do it tomorrow in daylight and report back.

Many thanks
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

Morning Anotherone,
I have been running for over an hour and have been reading but  not sure how bad the error chart at the bottom left is. Will do another one in mid evening today or tomorrow.
Happy with the speed and it is similar to a neighbour so if the error rate is acceptable am I right in thinking it will stay until router is rebooted and/or it is automatically changed by BT?
I signed up the neighbour and he had a slow connection so thought we were both stuck at 1gb but as well as a free Dlink router he has now got a free iplate and is only slightly slower than my speed as he is a little bit further from the exchange. Glad he found the service as good as I said it would be but he should have had to pay for a router and iplate like what I did!!
Thanks
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

Evening,
Evening results attached.
BT Speedtester 16:25 this afternoon
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1230 kbps
Regards,
Wuz
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wuz,
your last reply is not looking too bad (your reply #52 attachment was blank!). The error chart bottom right is looking good so far.  Generally all looks OK, I'd monitor things for a few days. It's going to take 3 or so days for your profile (and hence throughput) to rise to 2M at your current sync speed. You can keep a check on that at the member centre, if it doesn't rise as expected, run the BT speedtester again.
Yes, the speed should hold unless sync drops (due to a problem - large errors(noise), powerdip etc).
That's bad luck you having to pay for an i-plate, how did your neighbour wangle a freebie?
Anyway lets hope things settle down ok.
Regards,
Chris.
Wuz
Rising Star

Evening Anotherone,
I will monitor it and as I have now signed up for 12 months if there is any queries post again under the Broadband speed sub forum.
I went wireless as the main BT socket is attached to a roof beam so the router is in the loft. I wonder if I moved back to wired on an extension would there be much reduction. I will wait until the Netgear fails as from memory the operating temperature range may not cope with the extremes in the loft!!
Sorry for the blank page I should remember I am of an age when I should check that I have pasted before saving in Paint!
Two from the last couple of hours attached.
Thanks again for your help.
Wuz
Anotherone
Champion

I know what would be interesting, I don't know if you've spotted it, but you can monitor the SNRM with time at intervals of 8sec.(default). It displays in the lower of the 3 graphs. There is Start & Stop buttons below the 3 graphs to the right. One set from daytime and one from evening would be interesting.
Note that whilst it is running, the ability to use some of the other buttons is greyed out. To stop you may have to hold the Stop button for a second or two for it to respond.
Regards.
Wuz
Rising Star

Anotherone,
Thanks for the advice which I followed a couple of hours ago. Will have to learn to read it but it appears a pretty up and down graph when I guess a nice steady line would be better.
Wuz
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure if it was good advice, somethings amiss here, I don't know if this is some strange interaction between DMT and your model of router, or your line or router playing up. Those figures are off the scale - literally. And the stats have gone from the boxes. I wouldn't use the SNR monitor again until we find out what is going on. Can you report back what happened after you stopped it.
Edit: Check this link for an example of an SNRM graph on a high quality line (not mine) with an example of a drop in margin for about 3 minutes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Those results look odd to downright horrible and I suspect you have driven the noise margin too low giving total instability (note that the deviation shown on DMT is a % from the nominal).
If you go into the router via your browser what does that show - if that also gives extremely silly results then you need to close DMT and reboot your router (switch off at the mains and then on again) as this will clear whatever DMT did from the router.
If the router shows normal results then it is obviously DMT playing up and I would try using Routerstats to monitor the noise margin as it does a better job.