cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for the new years contract if might slow down to dialup speed?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should I go for the new years contract if might slow down to dialup speed?

Thanks Mike,
Once this really cold weather has gone which is messing up my line (intermittent noise which BT can't solve and which messes up my upstream margin) I will try it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Wuz,
You've definitely got a target SNRM of 15dB. Hope things continue to be stable. Keep the stats coming for a bit. It would be interesting to see some stats late evening / early hours as well if you are ever about - don't put youself out, it's not that important if things remain stable.
If you are feeling brave - well there's an interesting suggestion from MrC. I wonder if Oldjim will try it. (I think I'm going to have to try a netgear for myself anf try this out sometime). It's a shame similar firmware isn't available for a wide variety of other modem/routers or even come as standard. The reverse trend seems to be the case - yuk!
Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Dear all,
Current stats

System Up Time 71:46:53
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 154007 147784 0 75 575 71:45:11
LAN 10M/100M 4366 0 0 5 0 71:46:45
WLAN 11M/54M 185789 191347 0 669 97 71:46:36
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2240 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 30.0 db
Noise Margin 14.9 db 18.0 db

I will try to post late ones either tonight or tomorrow night.
Not feeling brave so haven't yet downloaded either DgTeam or DMT as I haven't recovered from changing a CMOS battery and still can't get a SATA Hard drive working after not clearing the CMOS on an AOpen i865 motherboard with xp professional. I have an old ide drive sitting in there and after much grief Acronis rescued most from a USB external hard drive on to that. Cleared the CMOS bought a new SATA drive and that doesn't work either so gave up as a friend was meant to be visiting at Xmas who knows much more and thinks I should have given up with Win 3.1!! Won't be here till the end of the month. Might post about this on another board if I can't find the answer!
Did check that I was using the correct Netgear firmware. I am.
Wuz

Wuz
Rising Star

Dear all,

System Up Time 82:06:21
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 193702 185781 0 80 646 82:04:39
LAN 10M/100M 5153 0 0 5 0 82:06:13
WLAN 11M/54M 226578 233645 0 736 102 82:06:04
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2240 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 30.0 db
Noise Margin 14.6 db 18.0 db
This is as late as I can manage tonight! Took one Samsung SP0812c hard drive out and it was very hot. Still won't auto recognise the other one. I bought it second hand with the 2 front USBs not working. I suspect it was a bad buy!
BT speedtest earlier about 19:30
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2240 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1120 kbps
Regards
Wuz
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wuz,
those snrm figures are looking pretty steady, so I reckon when you are ready to try DMT first perhaps or the other firmware if brave, we can see what may be acheived. I'd go to the Harware forum with your other problems, should be someone able to help.
Wuz
Rising Star

Evening all
I looked at DMT but am not sure which version to download. I read " The DMT TOOL v 8.07 now works with the DG834GT, DG834PN and the DG834N (it should work with the DG834v4 as well but i have no means of veryifying this) the website is here www.dmt.de"; on another forum found via Google.but can't find a definite answer.
The DMT site English translation mentioned lots of routers but not DG834v4 against any of the versions.
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

Dear all,
Sorry, I read on in the forum and somebody confirmed it works so I will try it.
Wuz
Wuz
Rising Star

Dear all,
I downloaded it following the Kitz instruction mentioned by James changing the IP add to 192.168.0.1 leaving port 23 and entering admin and my password.
I get message " error connection establishment failed. Modem not found. IP/DNS unreachable" at the bottom of the screen.  Anyone got any idea what I have done wrong. Should I have used version 7 after all?
Wuz
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wuz,
surprised Oldjim didn't come back to you on this, he's the expert on how to drive it.
Just to confirm, you should have downloaded v8.07 from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ and the correct one for your windows version ie. Windows2000/XP/Vista version, the file should be dmt.zip.
The kitz reference page jameseh mentioned should have been http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm.
The ip address for your router is http://192.168.0.1/ , probably worth saving that as a shortcut in either favorites on on your desktop.
The username by default is admin and unless you've changed the default router pasword I think it is password (not to be confused with your PN one). (Some other routers default password is admin).
You might find this page interesting as well http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#32
Hopefully Oldjim can give you some further guidance.
Wuz
Rising Star

Anotherone,
I've done that and used my password. I have changed from password since setup.
The only thing I can think of is if  it's something to do with port23. Zonealarm asks for permission which I grant so I don't think that is a problem. I had a big problem last June with Zonealarm.
Have reinstalled now get "Error: can not identify modemtype. DMT version 8.07 for BCM6338/6348/6358(adslctl)"
I will wait for Oldjim.
Thanks,
Wuz
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have you tried putting this in your browser http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug and then running it again?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Wuz
Rising Star

adiwoo,
Think it was already set but just tried again and  "debug enabled" reported. Just this on a blank Firefox tab.
Still got the same error message!
Maybe Oldjim will have an idea!
Wuz
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Hi,
Been out a lot recently so haven't been following this thread.
Can we try the easy way first - I will download the ini file to my webspace and send you a PM with the link. If you put this in the  DMT folder  (where you unzipped it) to replace the existing ini file.
You must however change the login and password to yours (open the file in notepad)
This picture is what I see when DMT loads
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Another thought.
Instead of using DMT you could try RouterStats http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Routerstats is certainly "plug'n'play" with Netgear DG834G routers, and I can confirm it works fine on the V4. I run Routerstats 4.7f currently though I notice version 4.7g came out on 10th January 2009. I have XP Home SP3 with Comodo firewall.
If required target noise margin can be adjusted; this requires the Telnet interface to be turned on - no problem, just a configuration option that needs to be selected.
The software includes support for DGteam firmware though I haven't tried that (in fact I still use the original V05.01.01 firmware, just had no reason to upgrade).
David
David