Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be getting better speed?

sjb2016
Grafter

Should I be getting better speed?

Hello all,
A while back I was advised that perhaps I should be getting better speeds than I was getting based on my router stats, one suggestion was to try the connection plugged into the master socket (I've also swapped the microfilter).  Although the stats look better, the speedtest results are the same and I can't see what my IP profile is now because BT speedtest isn't working AGAIN!  Anyway, these are my stats, and it seems that according to Kitz, I should be getting more throughput.  
If a plus.net employee comes along and looks at my account, it should be for the username sambrown2016.  EDIT: Speedtest.net consistently at between 4 and 4.5 Mbps in regular socket and phone plugged in and in master with nothing else plugged in(
Any thoughts most appreciated.  
The Stats:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:24
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,432 (used to be about 4,500)
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 26 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9,203
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Should I be getting better speed?

Hi sjb2016
"Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 6,432 (used to be about 4,500)"
6432 is your sync rate and if this has gone up in the test socket then you just need to wait for the BT systems to recognise the improved rate and it will lift your profile which will then increase your speed. You won't see an increased speed test result immediately for this reason.
Jojo Smiley
sjb2016
Grafter

Just an update...and additional question.
I've left my broadband connected to the master socket since Saturday morning.  Although with no phone connected, the sync speed 6,432, this drops to about 5,400 when I plug the phone in (which I have to do, as we need the phone).  Anyway, am I right that I haven't seen an increase in speed (according to Speedtest.net still max out at between 4.3 and 4.5 Mbps), because the sync speed of 5,400 is still within the same IP Profile as my previous sync speed?  With no phone plugged in, the sync speed is high enough to enter a new IP profile, would I see a speed increase after a few days in that scenario?
Seeing as I need the phone, which is obviously causing my sync speed to decrease by a fair percentage, is there a way to improve the speed and keep using the phone?  Would a higher quality microfilter improve the situation? 
Oh, and can someone please sort out BT Speedtester?  I know a while back Plus.net sorted things as nobody could use the Speedtester, but problem has returned (for me anyway).  It's been weeks since I've been able to to a test, it always just stalls on checking details and throw an error after 5 or 6 minutes. 
Any help greatly appreciated.   
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI sjb2016,
With what you're saying about sync lowering with the phone plugged in I would suggest you try a different filter and a different phone to see if that makes any difference. Your sync would have to remain stable at the higher rate for the profile to match relative to it.
Jojo Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

The IP profile bands that conecrn you are:
[tt]Sync Rates        IP Profile
5120-5664 kbps -> 4500
5696-6208 kbps -> 5000
6240-6784 kbps -> 5500
[/tt]

If you keep your phone in, and the sync sits at 5400 most of the time, then the IP Profile will sit at 4500, and I'd expect to see the generic speedtesters come back with answers around 4.1-4.2mbps.
If you leave the phone out for "long enough", and keep a stable sync of 6432, then the IP profile will eventually left to 5500, and the speedtesters would report roughly 5.0-5.2Mbps.
Leaving the phone plugged in should NOT cause a drop in sync, so it certainly suggests something is wrong somewhere. When you say you have plugged in to the "master socket", do you mean the socket in the front-panel of the BT Socket, or in the test socket behind (with the faceplate removed)?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.