cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shockingly slow internet speeds.

Tuna

Shockingly slow internet speeds.

Hey there, I've been a plusnet customer for a few years now, and we have always experienced horrendously slow internet speeds. All of the speeds that I give are using a wired connection.

When there is no one else on the network with only 1 computer wired directly to the access point doing a speed test I get this result:

rXK3T

Although with anyone else on the network then the average speeds are under 100kb/s down on a good day.

Keep in mind that that is without anyone else using the network, and even with that we are paying for faster speeds than what we're ever receiving, this speed for performing at an efficient work pace is totally impossible. Is there anyway to fix this? I work from home a lot, so I need a moderately quick internet connection, it is unbearably slow to use even an SSH connection, the busses have faster WiFi than what my WIRED connection has!

I've considered going back to BT, I know BT is horrendously awful, but at least they have technicians that will try to fix an issue. Pretty sure BT only owns Plusnet to make BT look better nowadays...

Anyway, I am currently using the ISP provided technicolor tg582n DLS Modem.

Is there anyway that I can improve my internet speeds, or should I just go to BT? Also, I am unfortunately not covered by fibre, and probably wont be for a very long time to come, the joys of living in Scotland. Cheesy

Thanks. 

~Tuna.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Shockingly slow internet speeds.

Hi there,

Looking at your estimates you should be receiving between 2.5 and 4.5Mb/s at the router.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 4.5 Available -- --

Fixed Rate

2 -- -- Available -- --

You should definitely be getting at least a little faster than you are. I've tried to make a change to help this, can you try a single disconnect/reconnect of the router and do another speedtest?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tuna

Hi Chris. Thanks for replying.

Here are some more screen shots, I'll try restarting my router via the ACP and taking another speed test, although I doubt that will do much, worth a try though. Wink

rYJoj

And here is the DSL Connection info:

rYJxZ

Here are several speed-tests done on a few servers after the restart of the router:

London, UK:

Manchester, UK:

York, UK:

Paris, FR:

Decided to take speed tests from a few different servers, and I am getting connections from most of them in an average speed of ~0.60Mb/s down, and an average of ~0.20Mb/s up. Being slower than ~96% of the UK really sucks.

Is there any chance that my connection is being limited? I pay for the Unlimited package, so I would think that I should not incur limitations, although you'd know better than me. Would a new gateway be worth it? The TG582n is pretty rubbish, but what can you expect from a £7 gateway?

Also, I might as well ask this here, where do I go to find out how to end my contract, pretty sure it ended a few months ago, quite interested in just going to BT. Wink

vericode

I have exactly the same issue, and the same router as you mentioned - i'm now thinking maybe these routers are on their last legs...? but is that even possible, surely they either work or they don't eh...

Tuna

In my experiance these routers have always preformed poorly... You'd almost be better of sending packets through two tin cans connected by a string. O.o 

Although I am not sure that it is the router itself that is causing the issue, although it is certainly not helping, since I have used a fancy pants netgear router/modem in the past with plusnet, and although that did improve wireless connectivity, the speeds where still terrible. So I personally think that it is my line to the house. I guess slow internet speeds come with farm houses, so RIP. Shame that no more staff have wanted to look at this thread though.

~Tuna

vericode

Indeed, seems the planet staff might be too busy to constantly look at forums, shame...

I now have to wait for however long, with no updates, and I'm stuck at 0.5MB instead of the usual 20MB, but I'm still paying of course for 20MB.....

Update: Just restarted and gone through setup again and seems my connection speed is back to ~20MB... might be coincidence that the engineers have fixed it!