cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing network drives and printers via TG582n

muchtyman

Sharing network drives and printers via TG582n

I am running Win XP SP3 and have a home network of 3 PC all part of the same workgroup. I just switched to plusnet and am now using the TG582n. When I look for other PC's in the same workgroup my search yields only the PC I am performing the search from. Before changing my router( Netgear) I could see the other PC's and the shared file directories that I had created.( as well as the networked printer)
Checked on the TG582n and it has each of the PC's listed as devices. How do I configure the TG582n to allow each of my PC's to see each other within my workgroup.
Thanks
muchtyman Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Sharing network drives and printers via TG582n

Hi there,
Are all the other PCs able to connect and surf the internet? It may be that they've been given different IP addresses than they were getting with the previous router, though as long as they're all online file sharing should be possible. Are you able to connect if you put the IP address of a given PC into the address bar in the file explorer in windows?
muchtyman

I appreciate the reply.  All PCs can surf the net. Have not tried to use the allocated IP address 0in explorer. Will try this and see
Many thanks
Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Look at your software firewall settings.
Most firewalls will block all connectivity from untrusted networks, for example, McAfee has the concept of a home trusted network.  IIRC Netgear's default network is 192.168.0.x whereas that of the TG582n is 192.168.1.x therefore what worked with the Netgear will indeed not work with the TG but not due to any fault with the TG.  Try pinging the other PCs - no response will be highly indicative of firewall activity.  Try Turning them off for a test.
I have found that McAfee can get trusts confused.  I've fixed that by removing all trusted networks on all computers and then trusting the 'new' network found by McAfee.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.