Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several connection drops a day

Theldron
Dabbler

Several connection drops a day

Hi,

We became PlusNet customers in April/May, after leaving BT.  Before the end of our BT contract we had to have some work completed on the local exchange after receiving many connection drop outs, which solved the problem for the last month or so of being with BT.

When we moved to PlusNet we were getting the odd drop out which I didnt worry about as I know it can take time for things to right themselves with the connection/speed etc.  Over the last couple of months though this has been getting alot worse we have been experiencing 3 to 4 drop outs a day and it is starting to get frustrating, especially as my partner is home with our 9 month old daughter.

If somebody could have a look at our connection I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Several connection drops a day

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Though you have changed providers, Plusnet will be using exactly the same phone line as was in use when you were with BT.  In that context who you pay for service has not bearing on line quality.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Theldron
Dabbler

Hi Townman,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately just to be a pain, we do not have a corded phone available and cannot get access to one at the moment.  I will pop out and try to get one.

Here is the other information as requested:

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_2plus    
Traffic Type: ATM    
Link Power State: L0    

Downstream Upstream    
Line Coding(Trellis): On On    
SNR Margin (1 dB): 5.0 6.7    
Attenuation (1 dB): 35.5 20.3    
Output Power (1 dBm): 19.6 12.1    
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 13084 1283    

Path 0   Path 1  
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 11951 1208 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 51 11 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 212 37 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 4 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.5689 1.0000 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 2995 304 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0 0 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 116944279 114076564 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 580314 1375 0 0
RS Words: 0 3911363 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 6342423 1580 0 0
OCD Errors: 6 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 6 0 0 0
Total Cells: 360107323 36385266 0 0
Data Cells: 179403230 7836487 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 1323 0 0

Total ES: 135304 1085    
Total SES: 6822 0    
Total UAS: 7442 4788    

+

PlusNet Current Line Speed: 12.2Mb

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Those stats look fairly good. DS SNRM might suggest some line noise is present but not a significant amount. Being able to monitor / plot using RS would be informative.

Is there any correlation if the drops with the use of the phone? Do you have any phone plugged in? If not you cannot eliminate the possibility that inbound calls are causing the line to drop.

@crt,

Can you please provide a VR plot and error history?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Theldron
Dabbler

No drop outs appear to be random, we just had a drop out at 9.50 and no one was using a phone, just my partner and I on our laptops.

We have a cordless phone plugged in, but as I said there have been no phone calls today.  What do you mean by VR plot sorry?

Thanks again

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Don't worry about the VR plot as it was a request to Plusnet staff not to yourself.

It shows connections and disconnections over a period of time.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Theldron
Dabbler

Hi,

No problem, thanks for looking into this for me.  The internet has dropped around 7 times already this morning and it is getting frustrating as the kids are trying to watch Netflix and play on their games - they are getting a bit restless...... help!!!!!!

Theldron
Dabbler

Hi, just wondering if there is any updates on my issue, as the internet has already dropped twice this morning?

Any news would be appreciated

Kind regards

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 20.2 35.5
SNR Margin: 5.7 2.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 0 0
Speed: 1178 15471

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 9088 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 7270
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 8569 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 28564
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 5
The MTBE (Mean Time Between Errors) is concerning, I'll give the SNR a little increase to try and help with that. If you can let us know how the connection performs for the next 24-48 hours that would be great.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Theldron
Dabbler

Hi,

Our internet has been dropping over the last 48 hours especially this morning.

Thanks

Sean

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris,

What does the target SNRM history look like for this line please?

The users stats hint at 6dB, the ones you posted 3dB. If it’s been 3dB for a while, then might the user’s stats reporting 5dB point towards the presence of line noise?

Theldron
Dabbler

Hi,

Are there any updates regarding my internet issue, as we have had several drops this evening?

Thanks

Theldron
Dabbler

Hello,

Are there any further updates to my drop connection issues as the issue still exists?  Tonight we have had around 4 drops this evening.

Any help would be appreciated

Sean

Theldron
Dabbler

Hello,

I have not heard anything for a week.  I tried to use Plusnet chat but the internet dropped when I was talking to someone now, the chat is greyed out and it says that "all advisors are currently busy", it has been like that since 12pm.

If someone could contact me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Request response