cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings up PlusNet with a Netgear WGR614 router

CathRoberts2008

Settings up PlusNet with a Netgear WGR614 router

Hi,
I have attempted to setup my PlusNet wireless internet on a windows 7 home machine.
I have everything setup correctly as far as i can see and the laptop is detecting the connection (displays as an excellent connection / connected wireless connection in Windows).
I have re-set the router to default by running the restore on it (by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds)
I then open up a internet explorer screen where i am presented with the netgear router login screen (using Admin / Password) to login which are the default credentials according to the router's manual.
It then lets me in to the router setup screen, where i then click on Basic setup and it runs through the setup and just appears to be polling and then comes up with "No Connection detected" - or something along those lines.
So i rang the PlusNet help desk and they advised me to enter my username and password into the routers "Basic Settings" screen, which i have done and then applied the changes.
It then attempts to re-check the connections, but still returns the same "No Connection Detected" response.
I know for a fact that the router is working correctly as i have tested if on another line at a different address without any problems, but the support rep just seemed to want to tell me that's where my problem was occurring..
Can anyone help me make any further progress with this please as i would like to get up and running!  Cry
Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Settings up PlusNet with a Netgear WGR614 router

HI CathRoberts2008,
I've just tried ringing you so I could go through few of the setting with you. Let me know when you have a couple of minutes available and I will call you again.
Jojo Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The WGR614, as far as I am aware, doesn't have an ADSL modem in it and is only a router.
Do you have a separate modem?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CathRoberts2008

Hi Joanne,
I am dealing with this on behalf of Mrs Roberts, and have setup their login this morning so i could access this forum.
It was also myself who spoke to the help desk last night.
You will not be able to contact anyone at the moment as there is no one at the house.
If you could provide me with any details i need, or want to check anything i should be able to?
Thanks
Steven
CathRoberts2008

Quote from: adiewoo
The WGR614, as far as I am aware, doesn't have an ADSL modem in it and is only a router.
Do you have a separate modem?

Hi,
I am not sure to be honest whether it does or not, but when i was speaking to the support rep last night i did ask the question and they didn't mention a modem?
Shall i assume that the Thomson router which PlusNet provide does contain a modem then, as we have requested one to be sent out?
Thanks.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

This link confirms there isn't a modem in it  http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php
You'll need to wait for the Thomson, but as that is a wireless router the Netgear becomes a bit surplus to requirements.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CathRoberts2008

Ok, thanks very much.
I wish someone could have just told me that when i initially rang up 3 days ago! lol
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi CathRoberts2008,
Interesting that that model is only a router. In that case, yes the thomson will be all you need.
[quote=CathRoberts2008]I wish someone could have just told me that when i initially rang up 3 days ago! lol
Unless our agents have had particular experience of these then they would not know. As you can imagine there are a multitude of modems/routers out there and we don't receive training on any 3rd party equipment, apart from how to configure the more popular makes such as Netgear, D-Link and Belkin. The fact that they wouldn't have differentiated between one Netgear and another is no surprise. In fact, I would have probably went down the same route as they did.
Jojo Smiley
grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi CathRoberts2008,
Interesting that that model is only a router. In that case, yes the thomson will be all you need.
[quote=CathRoberts2008]I wish someone could have just told me that when i initially rang up 3 days ago! lol

Unless our agents have had particular experience of these then they would not know.
Would it not be a good idea for your staff to have access to a list of compatible equipment? Shocked
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi grudkin,

[quote=grudkin]Would it not be a good idea for your staff to have access to a list of compatible equipment?
A great idea in theory and if we didn't supply our own routers then we would surely need to have some we could recommend. The trouble with providing a list of 3rd party equipment and stating that it's compatible is anyone then having compatibility issues with one on our list would then be able to say that it was our fault they bought it in the first place.So, the only way in which we could guarantee a 3rd party router would be compatible would be to test it rigorously, which would be impractical bearing in mind how many there are out there.
Jojo Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This is one place to look as a starting point http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/adsl2-hardware/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for pointing that out Strat, although I must stress to anyone reading that article:
[quote=library article]*Please note:
The only routers that we guarantee will work are the ones we supply. We have many reported incidents where the 3rd party routers have not worked even with the latest firmware upgrade and recommend anyone having difficulties with their router to use Plusnet supplied hardware.
Jojo Smiley
grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi grudkin,
A great idea in theory and if we didn't supply our own routers then we would surely need to have some we could recommend. The trouble with providing a list of 3rd party equipment and stating that it's compatible is anyone then having compatibility issues with one on our list would then be able to say that it was our fault they bought it in the first place.So, the only way in which we could guarantee a 3rd party router would be compatible would be to test it rigorously, which would be impractical bearing in mind how many there are out there.
Jojo Smiley

That's not what I meant!
I did not mean a list of recommended hardware.
I meant a database where your agents can enter the manufacturer name, and then the Model, and giving the result of ADSL capability!
For example entering the manufacturer as Netgear, Then entering the Model as DG834GT would give the result;
"ADSL Modem Presence; YES ADSL2+ capable"
But entering the model as WGR614 would give the result;
"ADSL Modem Presence; NO"
That way if a customer is having difficulties setting up their router your agents would see that the Netgear WGR614 does not have an integrated ADSL Modem and could then advise the customer of that fact and then recommend one of the Plusnet supplied routers as an option!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi grudkin,
If you know of such a database then I would certainly be happy to make it available to agents.
Jojo Smiley
grudkin
Grafter

I will have a look later tonight!
It is also worth noting that it is also possible to get the WGR614 working with the addition of the SpeedTouch 516v6 1-Port Router that Plusnet supply!
The SpeedTouch 516 is essentially an Ethernet ADSL Modem and should work along side the WGR614 by simply connecting an Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the SpeedTouch 516 and the other end into the Internet (WAN) Ethernet port (coloured Yellow) of the WGR614.