cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up homehub 4

mepone9

Setting up homehub 4

hi, i have just got a new bt homehub 4 and i am struggling to get it to connect to the internet, i stick in my plusnet username and password into the broadband section but with no luck, tried resetting back to factory settings and retrying no good, does anyone have anything else to try?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Setting up homehub 4

Are trying to connect directly to an ADSL line, or to an FTTC modem ?
mepone9

direct to ADSL
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you done all the settings listed here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml#connectionSetting... ?
Including -
    Encapsulation = PPPoA
      Mux method = VC
              VPI = 0
              VCI = 38
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

this should help you http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
A post by me. Although it was for the hub 3 and 2 at the time but it is the same steps as the hub 4.
Mine works like a dream.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: purleigh
Have you done all the settings listed here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml#connectionSetting... ?
Including -
    Encapsulation = PPPoA
      Mux method = VC
             VPI = 0
             VCI = 38

THese are not needed by the hub 4.  As BT uses the same details.  Apart from the BT username and password
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Go to a web browser,
put in address bar http://bthomehub.home ; (or simply click the purple writing) Click advanced settings along the tab.  If it asks for a password, put in the admin password found on plastic card (if you haven't modified the password.)  Then click broadband, ensure it is (yourplusnetusername)@plusdsl.net then the password is the member login password.
Click connect, you should leave the hub for 30 mins. If no luck go to the normal settings tab on the hub interface, then  on the last line it says 'enter your broadband username and password' click on this, enter same details as above with username and password. repeatedly click connect until it has connected, this sometimes overrides the hubs connectivity to force connect.
Also make sure that all cables are working and securely connected.  Is your telephone line working? Is it pass your activation date? Try resetting until it works.  Does the supplied router work? 
mepone9

hi NorthEasterner  i did look at this  http://community.plus.net...-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/ but no success, was just hitting connect but not waiting the 30 mins, will give that a go.
mepone9

i am getting this message from the hub -  The Broadband username that you’ve entered is either incorrect or is not supported by your BT Home Hub. Please check your username and try again
the username is correct      thinking the hub is faulty.  hub settings attached
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  Username removed from image ]
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest hiding your username
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yes I go with OldJim Cool
Like I said keep clicking the connect button on the enter my username and password section as this should override the router system to force connect.
May I know how you got this router
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'mepone9' -
Below is a copy of your router config screen capture, but with your username blotted out, as suggested.
If you would like to replace the above attachment to disguise your full username.
jslane
Grafter

It should really just work as my parents use the Home Hub 4. It was as simple as doing a factory reset when it arrived then entering the plusnet username/password.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The OP has stated that it has been reverted to factory con, refer to post 1
mrfawlty
Dabbler

Could I jump in here and ask - would you guys recommend the HH4 then?  I need more features than the TG582n gives me (Better wifi range/speed, better control over port forwarding, built-in gigabit ports etc etc) so was in the market for a new router and the HH4 is generally going for £40 on ebay which is cheaper than a lot of 3rd party ones with the same features.
If you would not recommend it, which router would you recommend?  I am on ADSL.