cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up an Asus router

macowens
Grafter

Setting up an Asus router

When setting up a new Asus router, I was asked about my ISP connection and rthe possible answers were - Dynamic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and Static IP.
I have a static IP but still wasn't sure what the correct answer was - I was not asked what my static IP was?
4 REPLIES 4
ericelgato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Setting up an Asus router

Assuming this is a FTTC connection you'll need to select PPPoE. Your static IP will sort itself out automatically.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

PPPoE is what you want to go for.
As ericelgato says the Static IP is assigned to your connection automatically so you shouldn't need to assign it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macowens
Grafter

I fully accept what you say - but why does the static IP sort itself out? Do all static IP's sort themselves out? I would just like to understand this a bit better. Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

but why does the static IP sort itself out?

It's assigned in much the same way as a dynamic IP, however the same IP is assigned rather than a different one for each time you connect.
There's a wealth of articles on the web about how IP addressing and related topics like subnetting so I'd get googling to learn more about the fundamentals.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team