cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a VPN Server on XP via Thomson TG585

Unresolved

Setting up a VPN Server on XP via Thomson TG585

Hi Folks,
Right! 1st problem encountered: Error 800 connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx using WAN Miniport (L2TP & PPTP) (when I enter my XP user account name and password) - I have configured my Win XP firewall and I am able to ping my home PC with my newly acquired static IP address from my client pc (laptop running Win7), but still Error 800.
So, first things first, are these port settings correct?

Secondly is it possible to ping or check port 1723 to make sure I configured it correctly?
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Setting up a VPN Server on XP via Thomson TG585

You shouldnt need to do any port forwarding for a PPTP VPN connection to work.
You do need to check, however, that you have a version of the TG585 & firmware that has the PPTP ALG enabled ( see here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... ). Check the model no v7/v8 and the firmware version ?
Remove the port forwarding once you've got the correct firmware and try again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Unresolved

Thanks. I'm now on Software Release: 8.2.6.5  (Product Name: TG585 v7). The router reset everything so there was no need to delete my VPN port forwarding setting. However, still no joy connecting to my home PC from my Win7 laptop.

I have made my public IP address static and my VPN server (local) IP static also. However, as you'll see below, there is nothing in the client VPN dialogue box to tell the software which PC to go to on the network, I'm guessing I should, right?

Also, do I need to create a domain network at home? It's currently set up as the default WORKGROUP.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Smiley
If I now understand correctly, you are setting up a VPN server on a windows XP system so that you can connect to your home LAN from the internet, is that correct?
I assume you are using RAS (Remote Access Server) on the XP box and have allocated a static IP to the XP system ..
In this case you WILL need to forward ports 1723 (TCP and UDP) and port 500 (TCP and UDP)  to your XP system 's static IP.
there is nothing in the client VPN dialogue box to tell the software which PC to go to on the network, I'm guessing I should, right?
There is no way ( or need ) to do that, the port forwarding will direct all VPN traffic to the XP system.
Also, do I need to create a domain network at home?
I don't think so but I've never used RAS in a home environment.
Have you configured RAS to allocate fixed IP's or via DHCP ?
DHCP should work in that it (RAS) will get its IP POOL from the TG585. If using fixed IP's then make sure they are out of the TG585's DHCP pool, but in the correct subnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Unresolved

Right, thanks to your good self, I is at last connected. Cheers! Although I didn't actually enter in an IP address when configuring my router - I had to select the MAC address of my XP PC's NIC.
I know I'm connected because on my XP machine it says so in the Network Connections area - Connected WAN Miniport (PPTP). Although tonight I will take my laptop to my mate's and see if I can connect and access my XP files from outside my LAN.

Another question please: Suppose I'm on holiday and using free wi-fi and just want to surf behind the security of my own router, can I just create another VPN using the MAC address of the router or something like that rather than the MAC address of my PC's NIC? This way I don't have to leave my PC switched on all the time.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Suppose I'm on holiday and using free wi-fi and just want to surf behind the security of my own router, can I just create another VPN using the MAC address of the router or something like that rather than the MAC address of my PC's NIC? This way I don't have to leave my PC switched on all the time.

Nope, that won't work I'm afraid. Your XP PC provides the VPN Endpoint (i.e server). Your router doesn't provide VPN Endpoint support ( although some, usually more expensive, routers can ) so you would need to keep your XP PC running.