cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Wireless Router

DaveMcC
Grafter

Setting up Wireless Router

Hi all, I have bought a Netgear DG834GSP wireless router.
My brd-band / computers are wired to a Netgear DG834GSP router, which I am not going to take off, turn off or any thing else.
What I want to do, is set up a wifii "using the Netgear DG834GSP WIRELESS"  in the house which will be turned off when not in use or needed, I had planned to have it down stairs and by using the one of the Panasonic Ethernet Adaptor, "have 4, 3 in use" to be able to access the internet that way, what I need to know is
Do I have to set up Wireless router with my passwords etc, or how do I get the 2 things to work as 1 system
Hope you understand what I am trying to do, the reason why? I am buying a Toshiba tab for the wife, and when the young ex-students come home they can use their laptops without patch cables as they broke 5 off them, they both got 1st with honourers but don't know to stop walking when the wire goes ping,,  :-[aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh Undecided Crazy
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Setting up Wireless Router

Quote from: DaveMcC
What I want to do, is set up a wifii "using the Netgear DG834GSP WIRELESS"  in the house which will be turned off when not in use or needed

AFAIK that can only be done manually.
Quote from: DaveMcC
I had planned to have it down stairs and by using the one of the Panasonic Ethernet Adaptor, "have 4, 3 in use" to be able to access the internet that way,

I have no idea what you mean.  Can you be a bit more explicit please.
DaveMcC
Grafter

Sorted done and dusted
Oh heck, here we are copy paste of

Thanks for visiting my Netgear repeating guide – The original guide I wrote in 2009 proved to be very popular, but the design had inherent weaknesses including poor security (only WEP was supported) and only half duplex repeating. This new guide addresses those weaknesses and provides a far more advanced, secure and reliable network by utilising Powerline Ethernet as part of the solution. The old guide is available here but I recommend using this one.
You don’t have to use DG834Gs like I have done, this guide will work for any post-2005 Netgear home product. You could even mix and match DG834Gs with DG834PNs and DGN2000s, it works. In fact you don't need to use Netgears even, this theory works with any modern routers and Access Points. This guide is proudly sponsored by TheyFit Custom Fit Condoms - if you find it useful please take a look around their site.
Here is my setup at home
http://s7.beta.photobucket.com/user/dtmcc/media/Network.jpg.html
How to get this to work:
This guide gives an example of how to mimic my own home network, but you can add as many extra access points as you like.
Master router
0: Buy some Powerline Ethernet dapters – I use Comtrend 902 / 9020s for my installs.   <
1: Log in to the Master, this is 192.168.0.1 and also acts as the ADSL or cable modem.
2: Set the SSID to your chosen SSID, and Wifi Channel to 1
3: Select LAN IP Setup > Set IP address to 192.168.0.1 > Tick "Use Router as a DHCP Server" > Starting IP address 192.168.0.11 > Ending IP address 192.168.0.254 > Apply
4: Connect the master Comtrend Powerline adapter to any Ethernet port of the router. The master Comtrend serial number in any pair ends with the letter A.
Access point 1
0: Log in to the access point (via wired connection will be easiest)
1: Set the SSID to your chosen SSID, the same SSID as for the Master, and Wifi Channel to 6
2: Select LAN IP Setup > Set IP address to 192.168.0.2 > UNTICK "Use Router as a DHCP Server" > Apply
3: Connect a slave Comtrend Powerline adapter to any Ethernet port of the router.
Access point 2
0: Log in to the access point (via wired connection will be easiest)
1: Set the SSID to your chosen SSID, the same SSID as for the Master, and Wifi Channel to 11
2: Select LAN IP Setup > Set IP address to 192.168.0.3 > UNTICK "Use Router as a DHCP Server" > Apply
3: Connect a slave Comtrend Powerline adapter to any Ethernet port of the router.
Now:
Power on Master and Powerline adapter
Power on Access point 1 and Powerline adapter
Power on Access point 2 and Powerline adapter
You should now have a wireless network provided by three different APs all under the same SSID – it is presented to your machine as one big network.
Notes:
You don’t have to set the same SSID on all of the access points, but if you do you will see one big network instead of three separate ones.
Try to use non-overlapping channels – IE channel 1, 6, 11 but if these don’t work play with the channel settings until you find the sweet spot.
You can hook up wired or wireless devices to any of the access points or master router; Xbox, printer, PS3, Iphone, PC, whatever, it all works.
You can use whatever encryption methods you like  - even different levels of encryption according to access point if you want.
The Comtrend adapters come in pairs but you can add extra adapters to the network with a simple push of a button, the instructions are here.

hymermanbill
Grafter

I think I have a similar setup but I am using Thomson routers. I have two computers in one room and want to be able to use a tablet in the living room, but wireless reception there is dire.  I bought two dynamode av500 home plugs from broadband buyer for £30, put one by the original router and one in the living room. Then used I wired a connection from the original router to the home plug ang joined the other router to the other home plug.  Before I plugged the second router in I disabled dhcp, and the firewall on it and changed the IP address for it from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.1 to avoid conflicts. I also changed the ssid to something different from the other router, so I now have two different wireless networks running.
It seems to work, it certainly provides quality wireless connections wherever I want them, and I can access the GUI on either of the routers t will, what is more I seem to get the same sort of speedtest results wherever I am.