cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up 2704N router to allow remote login to a computer on my home network

rcgibson

Setting up 2704N router to allow remote login to a computer on my home network

This ought to be simple, but I am confused by this router.  I've looked all over the forums but can't find anything yet.
Please can someone point to some simple instructions on how to do this.  Plusnet support said it was outside their remit.
6 REPLIES 6
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Setting up 2704N router to allow remote login to a computer on my home network

Have you looked here .. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-advanced.shtml
If that doesn't cover it, the let us know exactly what you're trying to set up
rcgibson

Re: Setting up 2704N router to allow remote login to a computer on my home network

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  Yes I have looked at this, but don't find it helpful.  I want to remotely login from my notebook to my home desktop which is ethernet connected to my router.  I have a static home IP address.  I don't know what numbers to put where.  Also I can't see how to stop the router changing local IP addresses of attached devices.  Thanks again - Roger.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Take a look at Teamviewer - Far simpler than forwarding ports and firewall rules...
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I agree, Teamviewer would be easier for occasional ad-hoc connection to your home computer.
To login directly to your home computer, I assume what you mean is you want to make a Remote Desktop connection, is that correct?    That's listed under Port Forwarding on the 2704N, but they call it "Windows 2000 Terminal Server" (uses port 3389 both TCP and UDP).    The configuration then allows you to assign that Application to an internal device.  I've not used this other than with static internal addressing, you can either just configure your desktop PC to a fixed address manually, or you can reserve a fixed DHCP address within the 2704N using the Expert menus ..    http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
It's possible that the port forwarding function works even with dynamically assigned internal IP addresses, since it's done by device name, but I've not tried this myself.
Some people are not happy exposing an RDP connection directly on the Internet.  Plenty of people do, but I guess it's worth remembering that you are potentially opening a loophole by giving the ability for an outside on the Internet to access the login function of your PC.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've got my desktop working with Wake on lan and Google Chrome remote desktop, as well as teamview
To get remote control working either chrome remote dektop, or teamviewer will wortk.
To turn on your desktop remotely you will need to set up wake on lan, this will require port forwarding on your router as well as a few other settings on your desktop, for details on this you will need to google it, there are a few guides out there, however my knowledge on how to do it is limited as I've only set it up a few times.
I use an android app called wake on lan to turn the desktop on, then chrome remote desktop, or teamveiwer ( if the later doesnt work ) to control it. I can slo use google drive on the remote desktop computer to download things to the local laptop or android phone
With this set up i can:
Turn on my desktop from shutdown from a  remote location ( anywhere in the world  with an internet connection)
Remote control it, and get files to/from it as if i am there
Turn it off again when its no longer needed.

When its working well, i can in effect have a full power desktop p.c running on a tablet or other low powered machine
you need Wake on lan, and  chrome remote desktop and /or teamviewer.
Chrome remote desktop in my opinion works better on a good connection, teamviewer works best  on a poor connection
rcgibson

Thanks every  one.  I like the look of Teamviewer as it does Linux as well as Windoze.  I'll try all the suggestions, and report back on my findings.  Roger