cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the 2704n into bridge mode? possible?

thefulhamstudy

Setting the 2704n into bridge mode? possible?

Hi everyone, was just wondering if you can set the 2704n into bridge mode so I can just use it as a modem with no NAT features. The guy who sold me plusnet was not forthcoming with any information when I asked him which modem they supplied. He just told me it was new.
I can't remember the exact conversation but I was lead to believe it would be business class as I was ordering their business class broadband. However, It wouldn't be out of place next to my kids pink tesco hudle.
I read somewhere there was an advanced link to get me into a few more features, but still nothing of any substance in there.(At least it had dhcp address config of sorts) 
I was wondering if there is any firmware or other hidden address out there that I can use, that will simply just let it bridge.
Thanks all.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Setting the 2704n into bridge mode? possible?

What modem were you using before you joined Plusnet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thefulhamstudy

None, this is a new line.
I was using the buildings internet for quite a while, until speeds became untenable. I have an asus rt-ac68u that I use for wireless 5ghz and 2.4ghz clients in the space. The asus also services the routing purposes for 5 desktops, 4 laptops, 2 windows servers about 6 tablets, possibly another 10 laptops, phones and 4 VPN connections at any one time. So a simple modem or the ability to bridge the device Plusnet offered up for £4.99 delivery would be nice. Just wondering if there was any way of doing that? The 2704n doesn't really seem business class.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it can't be set up for a simple bridge then it might be worth asking nicely if it could be swapped for the older TG582n (Plusnet should still have these available) which definitely can be set up in bridge mode and makes a pretty good modem by all accounts.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: thefulhamstudy
I read somewhere there was an advanced link to get me into a few more features, but still nothing of any substance in there.(At least it had dhcp address config of sorts)  

Was that in http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html ?
There's long discussion about this router at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135846.0.html - that may be the place to ask about bridging.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thefulhamstudy

Thanks for your advice jelv and w23. I just find it pretty poor that business customers are sent a router out that is nigh on useless. Details of which are not readily given by the salesman of the adsl package. That's misselling in my book. Utterly wasted my time in that I could of had a modem ready for when the connection went live. Instead I have to pay for a connection i'm not currently using until I get a modem, which I will be going to buy from a shop today as I now have free time to do so.
At least I know now where the office clerks who lost their jobs selling PPI's ended up.
regisbsb

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi regisbsb, welcome to the forum.
None of that will work on the Plusnet 2704n as you cannot telnet into it with a regular configuration. Also, the standard IP address for the 2704n is 192.168.1.254. Have a look at some of the technically detailed threads on the Hardware board, one is mentioned above by jelv. Please also have a thorough read of this one, you'll see the current limitations and skills needed to change certain things.
Darsh
Grafter

It is possible to change this router to the bridge mode by uploading a specially crafted config. More detail here.

Darsh