cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up extra email addies

Pegasus56
Grafter

Setting Up extra email addies

I have recently Built a New computer for My Son, and connected it to My Modem/Router (initially to register software & get Updates).
My Son has asked Me if it is possible for Me to set up a New email account (only accessible from His computer), through My FOL Account?
I tried to find out about this through the FOL Help Assistant Guide but could'nt find anything in there relating to My Query.
I thought that I could (as the way I understand it, I can have Multiple email addresses with My FOL Account?
P.S.
My Son is an 18Yr old College Student, and at present has all mail sent to one of My accounts (which I use for various online registrations, Forums & etc).
15 REPLIES 15
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Setting Up extra email addies

Just create a new mailbox via the member centre Email Settings -> Manage My Mail and enter those details into his email client of the form
mailbox login: username+mailboxname
mailbox pass: whatever password you set for the mailbox.
SMTP server: relay.plus.net
POP3 server: mail.plus.net
Pegasus56
Grafter

Peter.
Thank You!
I will set it Up Now! Grin
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There will be an easier way of doing this soon Cheesy
Manage My Mail improvements
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pegasus56
Grafter

Chris.
I am stumbling around a bit trying to set up a New Mailbox for my Son (using the instructions posted by Peter).
I will wait till the New (Easier) way is available! (Tomorrow Hopefully!). Roll_eyes Wink
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

In the manage my mail, just click on the mailboxes tab then the add new mailbox button. Enter the name you want for the mailbox and a password then use the info I gave eralier to setup the email client.
Note: you have to wait up to 4 hours before the mailbox is fully activated by PlusNet before you can connect to it and use it.
Pegasus56
Grafter

Peter.
I must have been doing something wrong (when I was trying to set up the New mailbox, using Your Instructions as a guide). Embarrassed
I kept getting Error Messages! Undecided Huh
As I said in My reply to Chris, I will wait till the New Improved System is setup! Wink
Pegasus56
Grafter

PJ.
Duly Noted! Wink
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What error messages? It is usually helpful to state what the errors are so we can help further. Just saying 'I get an error' could mean anything.
ddunford
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Just create a new mailbox via the member centre Email Settings -> Manage My Mail and enter those details into his email client of the form
mailbox login: username+mailboxname
mailbox pass: whatever password you set for the mailbox.
SMTP server: relay.plus.net
POP3 server: mail.plus.net

Hi i think your problem may be th fact your a free-online customer?
The mail servers given above are not right...
try:
Mail Server (POP3) mail.free-online.net
Relay Server (SMPT) relay.free-online.net
pdavidson
Grafter

You say that your son already recieves his mail through one of your mailboxes. If you have an email address (alias) set up for him with the same name as the mailbox you're trying to create then it won't allow you to do it. You need to delete the alias and then create the mailbox.
For example, if you have myson@myaccount as an alias that is delivered to an existing mailbox it won't allow you to create the myson@myaccount mailbox until the alias has been deleted. Duplicates are not allowed between mailboxes and aliases as they are both effectively the same email address.
If the error was to do with actually collecting the mail then the answer above mine regarding incoming and outgoing servers will be the solution but if the error is on creation then it's more likely to be this.
As has been said, post up the error and when it's happening then maybe we can get you fixed Smiley
Pegasus56
Grafter

The Error message I get comes up when I am trying to Create a new email address & Password (using the instuctions posted by Peter)! Huh
I add: Mysonsusername@myusername.free-online.co.uk
Then He picks a password & when I click the Add/Create button an Error message comes Up (Username/Password Invalid).
P.S.
The email address My Son has been using is one of My Old (backup) addresses (Non-FOL), which He can only access via My Computers mailbox! Roll_eyes
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is the password valid (at least 8 characters long)?
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

When entering the mailbox name are you putting the full address in the box (i.e. Mysonsusername@myusername.free-online.co.uk)? If so that is incorrect. You only need to add the bit before the @.
So in your example just Mysonsusername.
Pegasus56
Grafter

Spraxyt.
Yes, He picked a Password that was 8+ Characters long!

Peter.
I only added the bit before '@'?