cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up Emails

ernieg

Setting Up Emails

Hi every one, this is my fist post and being an OAP and coming late to computers, have to worn you, i have only limitted technical knowledge.
My wife and i have a family Desktop Dell Diamention PC upstairs, which we both use.  Unfortunately due to poor health and limitted mobility i am unable to climb up and down stairs easily anymore.  MY  Daughter has very kindly given me her old laptop to use downstairs, which is proving a god-send and althogh a little slower than the PC upstairs, i have plenty of time and patience to cope with it.

I have two email accounts Plusnet (3) and Tiscali (3) both set up to forward my emails to my "Incredimail Account" Inbox. and works perfectly well on the desktop PC unstairs.
I have managed to set up my Plusnet Accounts  on the laptop and can send and receive emails but some emails go to the PC upstairs or the laptop downstairs depending which one is being used at the time they arrive.  Sad
The major problem, however is although i have configured the exact Tiscali email settings on my laptop as for the Desktop PC  i am unable to send or receive emails to and from the Tiscali Accounts to arrive in the laptop email inbox ; they still appear in the PC upstairs, wether it is on or off.
I have even triied deleting a Tiscali Email Account from the Desktop PC but  sending a Tiscali email from the laptop
to myself still finishes up in thr PC upstairs  Roll_eyes and of course trying to forward an email from this particular  Tiscali Account and closing the Desktop PC Down quickly still nothing continues to appear on the laptop and even though deleted from my email accounts strangely still appears on the deskto PC Shocked
I have Windows XP on both computers which are wirelessly connected through a BT Voyager Router
I appologise if this seems a little long winded but just wanted to give as much infomation so you can understand my problem.
Grateful for any  help and assistance in resolving this frustrating problem.
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Setting Up Emails

If you have two computers each set up with the same email account both will try to download the emails but the one that tries first will get them. The other will get nothing.
If you need access to two email accounts then it's best, in this case to set up both accounts on the laptop and remove all accounts from the PC upstairs.
Then, when sending emails you would select the account to use to send them.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sorry Strat there is several other ways.
Hi & welcome.
I'm wondering the best way to try and explain this without getting too complicated.
There are two aspects to this - configuration of each e-mail account itself on each PC, and the configuration of Outlook Express which I assume you are using. Perhaps if you confirm that before we go too far, and also please confirm that you are sending Tiscali Mail on the Desktop PC without any problems. Another assumption on my part is that you've been with PN for a while and you are on their LLU service with Tiscali, which is no loger available to new customers. Of course I may be completely wrong, so I'm sure you'll put me right.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Anotherone

Agreed Chris but it starts to get relatively complicated especially as the gentleman has access to only the laptop personally. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry Gents but he said he is using Incredimail, I can see what it is, but dont know if it replaces Outlook Express.
If he is using Outlook express the answer is very simple, alongside the Send and reply button is a tab, this lets you A) send all,  B)download individual mailboxes,  Pushing the main button downloads every thing.
So if he want to send a message to SWMBO upstairs, write the e-mail, push the send button, the er upstairs pushes the receive for her mail box  and only gets that.
Q.E.D.
ernieg

Thank you for your help:
Quote from: Strat
If you have two computers each set up with the same email account both will try to download the emails but the one that tries first will get them. The other will get nothing.
If you need access to two email accounts then it's best, in this case to set up both accounts on the laptop and remove all accounts from the PC upstairs.

One of the Tiscali Accounts belongs to my Wife who will continue to use the Desktop pc upstairs and as mentioned in my previous post
i did remove one of my Tiscali Accounts from the Desktop PC but  having sent myself an email from the laptop to this deleted account still received it in the Desktop PC upstairs?
Hi & welcome.
I'm wondering the best way to try and explain this without getting too complicated.
There are two aspects to this - configuration of each e-mail account itself on each PC, and the configuration of Outlook Express which I assume you are using. Perhaps if you confirm that before we go too far, and also please confirm that you are sending Tiscali Mail on the Desktop PC without any problems. Another assumption on my part is that you've been with PN for a while and you are on their LLU service with Tiscali, which is no loger available to new customers. Of course I may be completely wrong, so I'm sure you'll put me right.

No, I am not using OE but "Incredimail" on both computers and have no problems in sending or receiving Tiscali emails to and from
our desktop PC.  We have been on broadband with PN for a couple of years, previously on dial up with Tiscali  and for the duration have always had both Tiscali and Plusnet emails forwarded to our "Incredimail Account".
Not too sure the meaning of "LLU" or it's consequences?

mal0z
Grafter

I'm not sure about those email client programs, but I have my Thunderbird set up so that it only deletes email off the server after 7 days after being first downloaded, so you could access it with a second PC.
Would that help you ?
ernieg

Many thanks for your kind assistance

Quote from: Strat on Today at 20:55

One of the Tiscali Accounts belongs to my Wife who will continue to use the Desktop pc upstairs and as mentioned in my previous post
i did remove one of my Tiscali Accounts from the Desktop PC but  having sent myself an email from the laptop to this deleted account still received it in the Desktop PC upstairs?

Quote from: Anotherone on Today at 20:59
Hi & welcome.

No, I am not using OE but "Incredimail" on both computers and have no problems in sending or receiving Tiscali emails to and from
our desktop PC.  We have been on broadband with PN for a couple of years, previously on dial up with Tiscali  and for the duration have always had both Tiscali and Plusnet emails forwarded to our "Incredimail Account".
Not too sure the meaning of "LLU" or it's consequences?
Kind regards
Ernest
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pity you wernt using OE, still you missed my answer in the posting just above yours
Anotherone
Champion

Well Mal that was the sort of direction in which we were heading, but as the gentleman has said, he has limited technical knowledge so it's a case of one step at a time.
@pierre - not quite 'that' simple, but in view of the gentleman's reply my thoughts and your suggestion is now irrelevant.
As none of us are Incredimail experts, will need to do a bit of research and come back, but essentially it should be possible to set things up so that you can download mail on either computer when ever you choose and send from either.
This is a slightly complicated situation, so I'm going to ask for some further clarification. Between you and your wife you have 3 PN e-mail addresses and 3 Tiscali e-mail addresses? Are they all set up to forward to a single Incredimail account?
Edit: I really should have said "Collected by a single  Incredimail installation"
ernieg

Hi Chris,
Sorry about the double postings, still trying to get acustomed to it the web site and the first postings had gone before i intended it to,  Never mind i can only improive Wink

Yes, to both the above questions!
Ernest
Anotherone
Champion

Don't worry Ernest you are doing fine. There is always a friendly (ususally Roll_eyes ) mod or two lurking that we can get to tidy anything up.
You could always have a go at editing any of your posts to correct any mistakes. There is a 'MODIFY' button in the top RHS of the post.
You can completely delete the content of a post, but not the post, so usual to put in a comment such as "duplicate post deleted".
If you are deleting unecessary full quotes, just delete them (a mod will do that anyway and remind you of the forum rules!)
For minor typos, just edit and do it. If you make a 'significant' correction (something that alters meaning), usually good to add at the end "Edit: To correct ..............." what ever it was.
Here is something you could try - in your previous post, the reason the quote didn't appear correctly is that the  ]  bracket is missing from the end of the initial quote string, ie just after the date. Try editing to put it in. It's an easy mistake to make - we've all done when making selective quotes.
As far as Incredimail goes, unless an expert comes along, you may not get an answer tonight, but if I explain how to do it in OE you could look for similar in Incredimail.
Under >Tools>Accounts>Properties (the account of interest)>Advanced Tab There is a Delivery setting at the bottom where you can set it to 'Leave a copy of messages on server'. Using that allows you to download on a particular computer and still be able to do so on another. Obviously all the computers you wish to use need to be set like that. There are variations you can try but it gets a liitle more complex.
ernieg

Chris, i am indebted to you for your kind explanation of the rules and how to sort the problems out whilst posting.  I will take them on board for future postings because now i have found how kind and helpful you guys can be, i will certainly be back for more,when the situation arises; that's if you don't mind looking out for an old duffer, still finding his way around a computer.
It's getting a little late and my good lady, who has had a busy Mothers Day is restless to get me upstairs and settled so  i will experiment with your advice tomorrow and let you know how i get on sometime soon.
Once again your time and effort is very much appreciated,  Smiley
Kind regards
Ernest
Anotherone
Champion

No problem, have a good night.
mal0z
Grafter

I found how to set Incremental up to leave message on the server for some time after download, so a second PC can download too.
http://help.incredimail.com/incredimail/help_center/help_article.aspx?is=t&article_id=12&lang_id=9&r...