Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up help for a new guy - Apple Airport Extreme

tomp2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Set up help for a new guy - Apple Airport Extreme

Ho folks, new boy here, and someone who has only a very basic grasp of modem/router things, so please be gentle!
I'm about to shift to Plusnet fibre optic broadband. My previous set up used a Belkin modem/router that was wired to my Apple Airport Extreme. My Extreme is a couple of years old. It's the one without storage built in, it's just a wireless base station.
Current wiring is simple: ADSL line goes to Belkin router, ethernet cable links Belkin router to Airport Extreme. Airport Extreme links wirelessly to several Airport Express outlets in the house which have speakers attached to them.
It looks to me as if all I need to do in my Plusnet set up is connect the Airport Extreme direct to the Openreach fibre modem by the same ethernet cable I use to connect to my existing ADSL modem/router, and that the Plusnet router is, in fact, surplus to my needs.
Can someone confirm this for me, please?
Cheers all.
Tom
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Set up help for a new guy - Apple Airport Extreme

It looks to me as if all I need to do in my Plusnet set up is connect the Airport Extreme direct to the Openreach fibre modem by the same ethernet cable I use to connect to my existing ADSL modem/router, and that the Plusnet router is, in fact, surplus to my needs.
Yes. The WAN settings on the Airport may need changing. It needs to be set to PPPoE with your plusnet username/password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

welcome to the forum Tom Smiley
I use an Airport Extreme, and ethernet cable between the modem and the router is all you need.
In the set up on the internet tab change it to PPoE. Your account name and password are you PN ones in the form of account@plusdsl.net
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tomp2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thank you, dvorak, that's quick, simple and exactly what I wanted to hear!
Cheers,
Tom