cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service has become unusable over the course of 3-4 days.

acheron

Service has become unusable over the course of 3-4 days.

I've been with Plusnet for about 12 months now. Never any problems. Speeds have been constant. I used to get the odd disconnect but only one every few weeks or so.
In the last 4 days, the service has dropped right off. It went from dropping out, every 7-8 hours, to now dropping out every 10 minutes. It disconnects without warning, stays down for about 2 minutes, then establishes connection again about 2-3 minutes later. The speeds are always the same and don't drop off. When it does, all the lights start flashing on the router (a TG582n), and the 'internet' light either goes off totally or goes red until the connection comes back.
I've got a gentle hiss on the line when I listen down the phone, but no more or different than the previous 11 months have been.
I've not installed new appliances recently, moved the router or anything like that. Everything is as it has been for the last year. The wiring is fine with no breaks or cracks. This has all come out of the blue. The house doesnt have a 'test' socket to try to test the router in. Im connected to the desktop PC using ethernet so it's not a wireless issue.
I don't know where or why this problem has started but hasn't there been recent maintenance? It's not near me and should have finished by now according to the server status.
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Service has become unusable over the course of 3-4 days.

Welcome to the forums acheron. Everyone seems to have missed your post  Sad
Are you plugged in at the master socket? When you say all the lights start to flash, I assume that includes the 'Broadband' one? If that's the case then general Network maintenance won't be the issue, it would have to be something between you and the exchange.
Can you post the full stats (admin login needed - password is the serial number) and you may as well post your Current Line speed (Login required) but don't post the phone number.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi acheron,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been seeing problems on the broadband service over the last week or so and I'm sorry that this hasn't been picked up sooner (thanks Anotherone). I can see from your account that you've raised this fault on a couple of occasions however you never completed the full set of questions on each one which meant that they never progressed.
In the interest of speeding this up for you, I've now run through the initial diagnostics and found that there isn't anything showing by way of a fault on the BT side of the network. As such would it be possible for you to check the connection from the master socket with everything else disconnected from the phone line as per the guide here?
Also, have you run the quiet line test? You should just need to dial 17070 then select option 2 and listen for hisses, crackles and pops.
This should help us to eliminate the most common issues and guide us in fixing the problem for you.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: acheron
I've been with Plusnet for about 12 months now. Never any problems. Speeds have been constant. I used to get the odd disconnect but only one every few weeks or so.
In the last 4 days, the service has dropped right off. It went from dropping out, every 7-8 hours, to now dropping out every 10 minutes. It disconnects without warning, stays down for about 2 minutes, then establishes connection again about 2-3 minutes later. The speeds are always the same and don't drop off. When it does, all the lights start flashing on the router (a TG582n), and the 'internet' light either goes off totally or goes red until the connection comes back.
I've got a gentle hiss on the line when I listen down the phone, but no more or different than the previous 11 months have been.
I've not installed new appliances recently, moved the router or anything like that. Everything is as it has been for the last year. The wiring is fine with no breaks or cracks. This has all come out of the blue. The house doesnt have a 'test' socket to try to test the router in. Im connected to the desktop PC using ethernet so it's not a wireless issue.
I don't know where or why this problem has started but hasn't there been recent maintenance? It's not near me and should have finished by now according to the server status.

The gentle hiss on your line is why the problem started as it indicates a line fault which has, presumably, gradually got worse until your broadband connection can no longer tolerate it.
It's rather like a car with a leaking brake cylinder, it'll go for possibly months until the fluid level drops & the brakes fail but the fault was there from the instant the fluid started to leak, not when the brakes failed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Mind, don't get confused with a very quiet level of hiss that you may barely hear which is quite normal. Most of that is down to the electronics in a lot of modern phones. If it seems a bit loud, try checking with another phone to be sure and keep a regular check.