cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service doesn't work after switch over

RodLaver

Service doesn't work after switch over

I'm after some help, I was switched over to Plusnet at midnight on the 17/18th of March but my service isn't working. I tried everything to get it working and went through all the trouble shooting but nothing worked, after calling plus net I was told there was a fault on my line and they needed open reach to go out and fix it.

It's really strange as I've never had a fault on my line in the 7 years I've lived my property so it seems to be a strange coincidence that it suddenly faults at the same time as plus net take over my line...

Anyway, I was told open reach would be out within 24-48 hours but it's coming up to 48 hours and not a dicky bird and the DSL is still down.

Can someone help me? I told plus net I needed this resolving urgently as I'm working from home so I've lost 2 days work and I cannot afford to lose a third, this needs to be fixed before Monday morning! Wishing I hadn't switched as it's been a pretty awful experience so far as I've only got limited data on my phone so can't really do much at the moment
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Service doesn't work after switch over

@RodLaver Welcome to the forums. Strange it may seem, but it does happen - you are certainly not the first to have reported this happening.

Unfortunately, if this was only reported on the 18th (Thursday) it could mean it wasn't in the BTOR workflow until Friday, and weekends don't count in that 48 hour window, and due to engineer availability (if they need to physically inspect the lines/cabinets), it can stretch a bit. Were you told what the problem was, and are you switching from ADSL to FTTC or FTTC- FTTC?

Doesn't really matter what you tell PN, they can only pass the fault to OpenReach, and it is then up to OR to resolve as quickly as possible.

John
RodLaver

It's just ADSL to ADSL from a different supplier so nothing different... I was told it's a problem between the exchange box and the house.

When I called plus net I was told the engineer would be out by the 20th, I have this on an email from the agent so they either just made it up or don't understand how the engineer system works as well as you do, either way it doesn't fill me with confidence

I should be watching Netflix but instead I'm thinking of what excuse I can throw my bosses way next after I told him it would be fixed and I'd be working on Monday...
jab1
Legend

OK. That is the standard response time for this type of problem, but due to the silly season we are currently in (a) engineers may be thinner on the ground and (b) those that are available could be pulled off routine jobs to deal with priority cases.

As I don't work for PN, I don't have to give scripted responses, but try and explain real-world scenarios.

John
RodLaver

Yes I understand we're still in strange times but that's no excuse to make me false promises on when the issue would be resolved.

I told the agent that it was urgent because of my work situation so I was hoping someone would be pulled off a routine job to fix my line as a priority as you mention in line with the timescales promised but this clearly hasn't been the case.
jab1
Legend

By priority, I (and any supplier/BTOR) mean where there is a risk to health &c -your, or any others work situation does not fall into that category, sorry.

And they did not make 'false promises', they gave you the standard response, no-one can predict the future.

John
RodLaver

They did, they told me it would be sorted by the 20th and it wasn't. That sounds like a broken promise to me, if that's not possible because of how the open reach process works then they clearly need to train their staff better in how it works, I've just called up plus net and the agent I spoke to told me that he had made a mistake on what he told me.

Maybe it's not an a priority in plus nets eyes, that's fine as long as they're willing to cover my lost wages for 2+ days I've lost from their botched line takeover.
jab1
Legend

I don't want to argue with you, @RodLaver , but it is not PN's fault that the issue was detected by Opereach when they did whatever they needed to at the supplier switch-over. I don't know what the second agent told you, and yes I agree that the first-line agents should really be advised to warn that standard response times are not guaranteed currently, but as the situation is fluid, there is little that can be done.

Priorities are defined by OpenReach, not Plusnet.

John