cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server not found

serenfach
Dabbler

Server not found

I need help!  I keep getting the "server not found" message, up to 30 times a day, making the use of the web frustrating, to put it mildly! 

I have raised a ticket on the 24th Aug, and so far this has been blamed on speed and DNS.  I have changed the DNS (Google) and my speed has increased from 0.5mg to 0.7mg (whooo hooo!). Nothing seems to make a difference with the constant message though..

I am beginning to wonder if the time out occurs because my speed is too slow for the main servers. Could this be true?

What else can I try before the cat leaves home from me shouting?

8 REPLIES 8
mendac

Re: Server not found

Welcome to Plusnet.  I have almost exactly the same problem, also running from late August, with frequent line drops but with a speed of 0.17mbs - so count yourself lucky - your speed is blisteringly fast compared to mine!  I call these guys & they talk the talk, but nowt else.  They tell me what they're going to do, but never do it & a week later I get an email to tell me that they can find no fault & I have to raise another fault (because they have closed the previous fault).  Sadly they are part of BT, and the BT culture seems to have taken over - it's never BT's fault & they'll do everything possible to avoid doing the work they really need to do to find the fault and will never apologise when it finally is proved to be their fault. Meanwhile the customer is left high & dry for months on end. I suspect we'll both end up biting the bullet and dumping Plusnet.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@serenfach

It could well be that your speed is low so some sites are timing out on you. Looking at the fault notes, your line is very long and we've been advised by Openreach that there's no further improvements they can make due to the length of the circuit I'm afraid.

@mendac

Your line is disconnecting a lot:

I can see this is in hand with the faults team and they'll update you again asap.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
serenfach
Dabbler

Thanks @mendac.  It is sort of comforting to know someone else somewhere is bashing their heads against the same brick wall!  I will let you know if I find a solution!

serenfach
Dabbler

Thanks for having a look @Chris.  It is not some sites, it is all sites, even Google.  This morning it took me 20 minutes to log into my email with all the drops, and then it dropped again whilst I was replying to one.  I know I am on a long line and am waiting for FTTP (which has been promised "in six months" for the last 3 and a half years), but my house has not moved since I moved to Plusnet and this did not used to happen (and my speed was better!).

Apprentice
Grafter

After you have logged in to the PN Member Centre what speeds are given?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

serenfach
Dabbler

0.9mg.  On a good day with a following wind....the graph with another test shows it going up and down like, well, you know....down to 0.3 then up to around 0.7 then down again....Upload is pretty steady at 0.38.

Apprentice
Grafter

Using the link below what are the router line stats like using a wired connection between router and PC as it will be interesting to see the downstream attenuation figure?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

serenfach
Dabbler

Thanks for trying - I know I am! Having clicked the link and followed it through, all I get is "limited stats available". but no stats!