cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Allowance for Uploads

Firejack
Grafter

Separate Allowance for Uploads

In the next 12 months are we likely to see a separate usage allowance for uploads?
Or an return of unlimited uploads?
What is the utilization of upstream capacity on the Plusnet network these days? Can't see a graph for it on the portal.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Separate Allowance for Uploads

Leave it with me and I'll try to find out.
I do believe though that our bandwidth for upstream capacity is considerably lower than downstream.
Firejack
Grafter

*hurls a mince pie at James* Oops. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to do it. Erm, while I have you attention. Any updates on my question? Wink
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Sorry, I had meant to get back to you sooner.
It's not currently going to be possible with the economics of the product.  Our pricing is built around a combination of calculated usage on uploads as well as downloads and removing the uploads charging would make the costs to us significantly more expensive and would then potentially make the products loss leading.
Firejack
Grafter

Awww ok. Sad
Can I have my mince pie back please? Tongue
mcgurka
Grafter

How are PN's backhauls delivered, I had assumed in experience that it is over 622Mbit and 155Mbit edgeless pipes?
Pipes are usually symmetric, and edgeless to the full bandwidth?
James
Grafter

It's entirely over 622Mbps centrals with 155Mbps segments.
We have a theoretical maximum of 311Mbps upstream on each central, with 77.5Mbps per segment.  However, if you consider that about 10% of charged traffic is for uploads, if we were suddenly to remove 10% of our revenue, this would need to be taken from somewhere else, or to skimp in other areas.
mcgurka
Grafter

Ahh right, Ok, see your point, I had assumed you guys were using 622mbit + however many 155 pipes, and they can run at full duplex.
Apologies all!