Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seems a good time to go fibre,BUT

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Seems a good time to go fibre,BUT

Currently my phone is with BT with unlimited anytime calls and rent paid annually. My ADSL  Is unlimited. It seems from my personal analysis of phone and broadband usage that going fibre would overall cost me less than £2/ month extra. Do my sums look correct, anyone?
My BT phone contract runs out around 9 August, so this may be a good time to upgrade.
However, I do not think I would get the governor’s permission to clutter up the hall with a modem and router. The ADSL modem router now is working from a hard-wired extension, that runs in the cavity from behind the BT main/test socket. The usual solution of running an extension socket up the stairs and around would be even more unacceptable to the governor.
Can anyone come up with a solution to permit both modem and router to be sited in the bedrrom immediately above the hall?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Seems a good time to go fibre,BUT

Well, you have to have a cable between your main phone socket, and your modem (or between modem and router if the modem is next to the socket).
If the wiring needs to be invisible, then you may be able to do it by installing some cable yourself prior to installation, such that it can be used to "pull through" the free data extension cable wich can be fitted when fibre is installed. (As I understand the installation engineer won't drill and will only run cable along skirting.) It will need to be less than 30m of cable.
Only you can say if that approach (pull through) is feasible, and if it is possible to route cable sufficientty discreetly to satisfy the governer.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Get the govenor to pay to relocate the master socket in the bed room and buy a multi handset DECT phone package.
Cheesy Grin Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

If you already have the cable through the cavity, use that to pull a couple of CAT5 cables back through to the master socket. Use one for the telephone and the second for the data connection to the master socket.
This is what I've done in my install - I put a CAT5e socket next to the master socket and used a patch cable to link the two.
Luzern
Hero

A wee bit of clarification
At the moment the hall has the master socket to which the answerphone base station is fitted. The bedroom has the modem-rouetr and a slave DECT.
I have added thsi in case it may modify the replies to date.
Anyway it seems my cab must be full, because it has been commissioned for some time, did have availability, but now is showing a suggested date July 2014. So the immediate question is whether to change phone provider without FTTc upgrade. In that respect what is consensus on service? The equivalent phone package and features do appear a bit vheaper.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To be blunt, I think the perception of service is significantly coloured by the quality of the local BTOR infrastructure and service provision, coupled with not understanding that no ISP has any real control over what happens on the ground.
I've been with PN on residential subscription service for over 10 years after some 4 or more years on pay as you go dial-up, also 4 years as a business user.  During that time the big issues gave all related to BTOR infrastructure failures and inability to locate and fix faults.
Yes along the way, there gave been fails on PN's sued, but these have all been sorted out reasonably well if sometimes a little tardy.  For what its worth I've has a good number of referrals who gave also been with PN for many years.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Luzern
Hero

TBH I wonder if service standards go in areas generally. Down here SW Hants It seems OK
Quote from: DomS
If you already have the cable through the cavity, use that to pull a couple of CAT5 cables back through to the master socket. Use one for the telephone and the second for the data connection to the master socket.
This is what I've done in my install - I put a CAT5e socket next to the master socket and used a patch cable to link the two.

Sorry DomS, if this sounds stupid. When all done, does that mean both modem and router can be sited upstairs? I assume that until the FTTC install actually takes place, the two Cat 5e would stay unconnected but secured in the cavity, connectors to be fitted idc.
Pics of your set up might get it in properly to the peas that masquerade as a brain.
picbits
Rising Star

You can use CAT5 cable to extend or run a telephone extension so this can be used at the master socket to bring the extension upstairs. You should use a separate cable for the data (FTTC) and the Phone extension
When the BT guy fits the new faceplate, it has a RJ45 connector at the top of the plate which you can plug a normal CAT5e patch lead into.
Here is one I posted earlier Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111725.msg957781.html#msg957781
Luzern
Hero

Thank you! That's stored for use i d c Wink