cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seemingly excessive useage of 4.3gb inside 4 hours!

Rincewind
Dabbler

Re: Seemingly excessive useage of 4.3gb inside 4 hours!

Hi
My problem started when a massive 4.5gb appeared on the VMU in one morning.
Further examination revealed it to be an upload, which was impossible in the given time.
The problem is, the VMU doesn't show much detail, so I would give you the same advice I was given by regulars here.
Download Networx or similar and monitor your usage against the VMU.
Networx shows data right down to hourly rates both up and down.
In my case when the router was off there was no usage.
Initially, I did have no real luck with support, until I got Bob on the case.
At first I was told it might be someone, using my connection over wifi, which it obviously wasn't
Good luck with this.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: markco
It seems crazy to me that this is even possible.  Surely there should be a way of tying the broadband service to the physical line.

Not when our products are using BT Wholesale's DSL offering there isn't e.g. you can use your Plusnet connection details from *any* Plusnet provisioned line as long as the realm is the same (i.e. the bit after the '@' in your username).
Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have used my account on other lines when away from home, and have no usage logged, so I would think that the only thing that came up your usage must be on your line - hope that points in the correct direction

Any usage on your account regardless of the line used is attributed to your usage pages so I'm not sure what happened there pierre.
I've looked at your account and can see there are overlapping RADIUS sessions albeit not many:
15:13 23/Aug/2010	22:13 23/Aug/2010	  7:0:21 
14:13 23/Aug/2010 09:34 24/Aug/2010   19:20:57

There's also definitely a connection made on the 2.55GB day:
11:28 22/Jul/2010 	22:40 22/Jul/2010 	  11:12:33  

Have you given an old router to somebody else at any point, or returned a router to us?
It could have been something to do with our TR069 platform (automated router setup) although this is disabled on your account. It may have been disabled after you reported the problem to us though. Either way changing your password should have done the trick. Safest way to check would be to turn your router off for a day again to make sure usage still isn't being recorded against your account (although I fail to see how this would be possible based on what you've said).
@Rincewind, I can say with confidence that your problem was related to something else entirely.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

markco

Thanks Bob
Does overlapping RADIUS sessions mean that there were simultaneous connections from different lines?
(The bottom one is definately me.  It corresponds to me retuning from holiday yesterday, and turning router off this morning so I could monitor any additional usage.)
No.  I haven't given a router to someone else or returned it to you.
I will monitor this now and see how it goes.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: markco
Does overlapping RADIUS sessions mean that there were simultaneous connections from different lines?

Almost definitively yes.
B.