cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

flodden
Grafter

Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a good value anti-virus software package?
Norton 2005 renewal is £39.99.
Norton 2008 upgrade is £39.99.
Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

get one of the free ones most work better than Norton, used to say AVG but version 8 has gone a bit silly, and takes a lot of fiddling to get it back OK
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

I've been using Kaspersky AV since earlier this year and have been very satisfied with it:-
http://www.kaspersky.com/
Their website lists the current version at £29.99 for one year or £42.99 for two, but you might be able to obtain it cheaper elsewhere.
Cliff
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I would say AVG, but agree with pierre pierre, that is very difficult to get working as 7.5.
@pierre pierre, how did you get it back to anythig thats useful???  I have turned off link scanner, and tried to disable auto updates, but it still auto updates, and always wants to restart the damn system. Would very much like to know how to get it back to as it should be and not as bloated or intrusive.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I reset the scan to a time where I was not likely to be doing anything important, and got rid of that terrible link scanner
Does yours Auto Update?, didnt think it did that as that was a moan from a lot of people, also they had to extend the life of 7.5 because of all the complaints.
jazz
Grafter

I've been very happy using the free version of Avast! for the last year or two - frequent auto updates and very easy to use Smiley
lingbob
Grafter

Avast! is also very easy to configure and all the different modules can be switched on/off either on a temporary or a permanent basis. There's also a Custom Install feature which allows you to install whichever module(s) you want. Excellent piece of kit  Smiley
Regards .....
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If you do go for Norton, Norton Internet Security 2008 (not just AV) is £29.99 in PC World at present. Cheaper than your upgrade / renewal - and does the online licence allow you to download again if you need to reinstall? The last time I looked at this, a few years ago, it was charged extra.
Norton does impact on the performance of a PC. This is a price I am willing to pay if it provides a better level of security but I don't know whether that is the case or not. I have stuck with it on the basis of "better the devil you know".
Santiago
Grafter

I like ESET Smart Security Suite.
I have been running this for a while and found it to be excellent.
I also have used the ESET AV Nod32
I would recommend both
Not applicable

I had this website pointed out to me;
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
How much use it is for decision-making I don't know, but it does give you some pretty interesting stats on different AV solutions.
For example, Sophos has a tendancy to report a lot of false positives according to the test, but the false positives were all on applications that many businesses won't use. So its extra aggression may well make it an ideal product for businesses, but less of a good choice for the home user.
paulby
Grafter

I'd just like to second what Santiago has said.  
Also, if you've got more than 1 PC, multi-station licences are cheaper.
The licence also includes all program upgrades as well as definition files (so no need to pay extra to get a program upgrade to a new version) and comes in 1,2 or 3 year versions.  There's also a 30 day trial version (free) which can be upgraded to the full version if you buy a licence.
Have a look here for AV and here for Smart Security (includes a firewall).
Templar

Try Kaspersky Internet Sec 2009 , 3 user OEM . 1yr for only £11 +vat. at CCLonline, PC pro recomended and a steal at this price against retail.
I changed from Zone alarm after years of use....Kaspersky is miles ahead.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: pierre_pierre

Does yours Auto Update?, didnt think it did that as that was a moan from a lot of people, also they had to extend the life of 7.5 because of all the complaints.

I use AVG free.  Mine auto updates every morning when the scan runs.  I know AVG had problems with V8 but eventually they listened and dealt with some of the more serious ones.
flodden
Grafter

Thanks for all your great suggestions and advice. I will have a look at them all before deciding.
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

If you are wanting a free anti virus for use at home, try Avira (www.free-av.com).
It does nag you each day when it does it's update but that's all.  Doesn't impact on your PC performance like some packages and it's free Smiley  There is also a pro version if you want extras.