cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See - now traffic management just doesn't work, does it?

leeanthony
Grafter

Re: See - now traffic management just doesn't work, does it?

I am using 8MB Pro and the first one streamed fast enough for continuous playback. Ofcourse the third one was no problem at all (Low quality). The second one like others have pointed out, not found.
It is worth noting on the quality of the first one though, that is a very high quality video, I dont know your pc specs but unless the video is actually pausing completly because it needs to buffer again, thats most likely your pc that is struggling to play it smoothly
Spider
Grafter

For me the first and third played fine and the second the link was no found. Currently on BBYW Pro Premium. Watched the first on full screen and was impressed. Thanks for the link.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 5

Re:See - now traffic management just doesn"t work, does it?

Quote from: tonycollinet

Will give new wireshark captures tonght when I get home. Do you want the whole webpage (because they take some time to load)? I think you'll have to, becuase I cannot judge when the video will start.

If you can start running the capture then go to the page that will get the beginning of the flow. You can stop the capture as soon as the first couple of seconds of the video have played as it's just the beginning of the flow I need.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re:See - now traffic management just doesn"t work, does it?

Quote from: Mand
Currently, we don't differentiate between 'Akamai static content' and 'Akamai downloads'.

Which when the BBC use them, as do lots of other big news companies, along with Ebay etc. it means that some of the biggest sites on the internet actually become just about unusable.
Do you really think that's an "acceptable" service? "Come to Plusnet as an ISP, we're really good, but don't expect to be able to read the BBC news website, or the Times....."
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Currently, we don't differentiate between 'Akamai static content' and 'Akamai downloads'. There is one way to do it, and we have done it in the past, but the hardware manufacturers specifically advise you not to do this because it causes performance problems across the board.

I'd just like to post my thoughts on this.
No matter that the various PN contracts pre-sales don't adequately link to the FAQ pages on bandwidth/shaping/managing.
On the one hand people expect to get via their BB whatever it is they require and wrt to the above quote and this thread there is a bit of semantics perhaps involved ----- "download".
Effectively any type of data is "downloaded" to the user's PC.
A 5M, 10M, 20M, 50M etc file whether:
1 mmedia,
2 pdf,
3 iso,
4 driver,
5 heavy pages
etc are all just a pile of bits.
The "blanket" pejorative labelling of Akamai etc - including ftp - shows no regard for the ordinary user NOT interested in no. 1 of that list. There are quite a number of manufacturer sites hosted by Akamai or affiliate and can I get a driver download at >30kb/s whenever I want? NFW!!!
That's what really gets my goat about the PN shaping, and referred to by others here wrt eBay, where PN are happy to let some people get questionable (but hey live and let live) content at their best line rate and those who need an update/driver -RFS-  to get going are throttled back.
FX (sound of  steam escaping)  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well it is linked via the portal  http://www.plus.net/?home=hometop  then I chose more info on value  do it in this order
    *  Free easy setup wireless router
      Has 4-ports (for connecting up to 10 desktop PCs). Our easy setup routers will automatically connect you to the Internet in just a few minutes.
    * Use Peer-to-Peer or Binary USENET to share files?
      Check our Expected Speeds page to see what experience you'll get from Plusnet Value.
    * Free connection
    * Unlimited email addresses
    * Broadband Firewall and spam protection
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/download_servers.shtml
The following sites are not blocked, but will be slowed down during busy times on our network. This is because they are known to drive very high usage on non-interactive traffic.
We constantly monitor the traffic on our network in order to deliver the best service to our customers. As such this list may be revised depending on the volume of network traffic, for example: if large volumes of non-interactive downloads change from one Content Distribution Network to another.
Download sites
    * Adult bouncer
    * Bangbros Online
    * Kingdom.com
    * Rapidshare
    * ImageShack
    * Megaupload
    * TerraSpace (Rapidshare again)
    * badonga.com
    * guba.com
    * metainterfaces.com
    * narrowstep.com
    * sendspace.com
    * wildrose.net
Download servers
    * German Mirror site
    * Ireland Mirror site
    * Kent Mirror site
Content Distribution Networks (CDN)
    * Akamai
    * Limelight Networks
    * Level 3
Non-interactive downloads via download accelerators are also managed.
paulh
Rising Star

The list of "CDN" at the bottom certainly wasn't on that page until relatively recently; it definitely wasn't there in April when I started posting about problems I was experiencing with Akamai sites, and PN responses to my posts in more than one thread on this subject denied there was any such throttling on basic http traffic.
But the point remains: Even if PN state "these content suppliers are throtted". that doesn't make it OK. If those content suppliers deliver great slabs of regularly used content (eBay and the BBC are not exactly "niche" sites) and if users with all but the most premium (and thus expensive) accounts can't browse them smoothly and easily, then there is a problem.
Premium accounts should not be required in order to browse eBay, the BBC or whatever ...
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: paulh
The list of "CDN" at the bottom certainly wasn't on that page until relatively recently; it definitely wasn't there in April when I started posting about problems I was experiencing with Akamai sites, and PN responses to my posts in more than one thread on this subject denied there was any such throttling on basic http traffic.

And how many non-techy people are going to know that Akami delivers a huge portion of the BBC and Ebay? They wont and using phrases ike CDN will just not mean much to a lot of people.
If PN listed the BBC and Ebay and The Times and the "this is" network of newspaper sites (which is part of the Daily Mail so they're probably on there too) as throttled sites then people would just turn and walk away
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: SteveA
If PN listed the BBC and Ebay and The Times and the "this is" network of newspaper sites (which is part of the Daily Mail so they're probably on there too) as throttled sites then people would just turn and walk away

Which is why they don't  Wink
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: paulgul
Which is why they don't  Wink

I wonder if they've run that idea past their legal team?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont have trouble with the BBC news sites, dont use iPlayer much as I have a working TV with 2 channel PVR and freesat with another two, so can record four channels at once
SteveA
Pro

BBC news website and others are fine now but as they are on Akami it means that when PNs network starts to get busy, which is when we need traffic management, it seems to go a bit do-lally.
zubel
Community Veteran

TBH, BBC shouldn't be affected as it's only externally-facing content that is delivered by Akamai.
PN have a direct peer to BBC, so all content *should* get served across that link, and not via an Akamai CDN IP
B.
EDIT:  It seems iPlayer is served from Akamai and Level3, but iPlayer is specifically identified as streaming and should be classified accordingly.   Exactly what problems have you had with the BBC site as I never have any issues?
paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: Barry
iPlayer is specifically identified as streaming and should be classified accordingly.   

ah but it might be that there's Gold, and then there's "gold-plated" Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

yup - and they have different sigs in Wireshark, so it's easy to determine.
B.