cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure wi-fi for flats

peaksoft
Grafter

Secure wi-fi for flats

I'm a personal Plusnet subscriber, but I'm also the managing agent for the block of nine flats where I live.
I've been wondering about the feasibility of setting up communal wi-fi, with a router in the attic.
Could anyone knowledgeable fill me in on likely problems to be overcome?
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Secure wi-fi for flats

A) it is possible, I have just been away to a cottage complex, the owner allowed access, It was a secure link and he gave out the password.
B)How do you control what each user actually uses, some members here have trouble with their own family, one of them used nearly all his allowance in one day down loading Videos, Music during peak time.
C)How about someone download questionable  Items, you are legally responsible
D)WiFi signals dont like going through brick wall, you might not have enough range to supply all flats
Just a few starters.
peaksoft
Grafter

Many thanks for those thoughts.
What put the idea into my head was reading an ad for university student accommodation, where it was provided to all of the flats.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm not sure how communal wifi works.  Is there a usage limit as we get as individuals from PN?  Surely if I go into Starbucks they are just providing a facility and do not have a limit? Also, they wouldn't be responsible for the content of customers downloads would they? Huh 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am not sure but I dont think that Starbucks is a free Access, they just supply a Cloud or such paid for link
for another thought try this supplier
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I thought Starbucks was free but I could be wrong.  At my club wi-fi is supplied free of charge. I'll see if I can find out how it is paid for and charged to them.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I stayed overnight in a student accommodation about two years ago at Barts Hospital in London, they had WiFi access but it was password protected, so Dont know if it was free or not
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I thought Starbucks was free but I could be wrong.  At my club wi-fi is supplied free of charge. I'll see if I can find out how it is paid for and charged to them.

Starbux are/were going to offer free WiFi in the US, but from what I have found no coffee shop chain is currently offering free WiFi access in the UK.  However, some local coffee shops; restaurants; bars do offer free WiFi.  Very much a hit & miss affair.
Regarding the being held legally responsible for other person's usage of the WiFi service argument, I don't think that this is enforceable.  Ownership of the router does not necessarily mean ownership of the packets.  Of course you would not particularly enjoy having to argue about all this in a police station . . . so better check with the relevant UK statutory body (OfCOMM?) in advance.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

McDonalds offer free WiFi access in their burger bars.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MickKi
Grafter

Oh yes!  I forgot . . .
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Purely in the interests of research, and the best coffee in the High Street, I have just visited Cafe Nero in Epping High Street.  They offer wi-fi but charge for it. You purchase access by the hour. 
However, if you are signed up to BT Openworld it is free. I assume this is part of the package you have to pay for with Openworld. You can use any 'hotspot' as part of the deal.
BTW, delicious chocolate cake as well  Grin Grin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Think in starbucks it's T-Mobile so if you have their mobile broadband you can use their hotspots for free too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont know about Big M in other places, but when I was looking for Starbucks, the one If found, Bury St Edmunds and Chelmsford area were all paid up or else Cool