Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second line - No spare pairs

GeordieMark
Grafter

Second line - No spare pairs

Morning guys,
I've been considering getting getting a second line in which I mentioned to the OR guy we had out recently, however he advised there are no spare pairs on my dp (pole) and if I wanted a second line then OR would have to create new pairs which would be very expensive, he wasnt sure if this cost would be passed onto me or not however I was under the impression the connection fee / line rental covered the cost of whatever work openreach had to do to provide the new line?
He also said they might just connect it to the other pole in the street but wasn't sure if it was close enough to the property or not.
I was wondering if anyone at plusnet had ever dealt with a situation like that, and what the outcome was?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Second line - No spare pairs

Hi Mark,
In my experience, the cost is normally covered by Openreach however there will normally be a delay in getting the line installation carried out while planning/pulling of additional pairs. There would still be a few caveats in this however, you would need to sign up a new account with us to carry the additional line, this would then carry the standard installation cost of the new line which is £49.99 with us and finally, any work required to have more copper pulled to the DP would have to cost below £200. Anything above this would mean the order would fail and the only option to progress would be to pay for the additional costs yourself however this is very rarely seen.
Unfortunately we can't give you an expected outcome unless the order is placed and we would then have to await information back from OR on the survey of the new installation. Given this it can be a bit of a gamble when to comes to situations of this nature.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Hey Adam thanks for the reply,
Yeah I didn't think it would be straight forward, I'm happy enough to pay the £50 install fee, which I was expecting I was just a bit shocked when the engineer said openreach might send me a hefty bill for it. So all I would pay is the £50 install, unless laying more copper to the DP is going to cost Openreach more than £200? In which case I probably wouldn't bother anyway.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mark,
That's correct, as mentioned it would need to be on a new account so if you're looking to have the line activated and set up you may need to speak with our Sales team to do this if you're going to try for a phone line only account however I think what you're trying to do is get a second line for a more reliable broadband service so you may wish to consider taking out a whole new package of phone and broadband (providing you're not in contract with the other account).
Hope that all makes sense, this type of operation can become confusing quickly so I hope you can get things sorted  Wink
GeordieMark
Grafter

Thanks Adam, yep due to the issues I'm having (I'm not sure if you remember) I'm looking to get a second line to "balance" I'm just looking at if it's going to be worth it money-wise.
I'm aware I'd need to register it under a separate account too that's not a problem, hopefully if I get a new line and copper laid I won't have as many issues (Although I know this isn't always the case) and yeah it'd be another Phone + broadband line, would make sense to get the line rental etc through you guys too, makes it easier Wink
I'm assuming if I made the order and it turned out it was going to exceed the £200, I'd be able to  cancel the order and would the £50 be refunded?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mark,
Indeed it would, the £49.99 is to cover the engineering works in getting your installed so if this stalls for any reason (set costs exceeded for install) then he wouldn't attend to carry our the work and this would be refundable.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Excellent, thanks for the info Adam Smiley