cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Scam Warning* - Caller Claiming to be from my ISP

AndyH
Grafter

*Scam Warning* - Caller Claiming to be from my ISP

Just a heads up about a scam going around....I just received a call from the "Technical Support Department of my ISP" telling me there were problems with my internet connection like frequent disconnects and slow speeds.
They tell you to go to http://www.teamviewer.com and "Join a Remote Control Session" to fix the problems. I hung up at this point, but I assume they tell you your machine has some viruses and then try to charge you to remove it. But the fact that they remote desktop to you PC is a massive security risk in itself if anyone allows them.
The worrying thing is this caller is from Sheffield (telephone number 01143 360311), but sounded like he was from an overseas call centre. He had no clue which ISP I am actually with.
-- Apologies mods if this is in the wrong forum.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: *Scam Warning* - Caller Claiming to be from my ISP

Thanks for the heads up about this.
It's not that often that we'd need to contact any of our customers by phone but we should always be introducing ourselves by giving our name (I usually give my full name) and that we're calling from Plusnet.
In case anyone reads this and gets concerned about any requests for a remote admin connection to their PC we use Go To Assist and it should be well explained if there's any need to do that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danger11
Grafter

Did he sound indian? not the first time ive heard about this (could even be the same company)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jul/23/phone-virus-pc-scam-pecon-denies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My slightly similar experience..... see post #17
And then the whole thread...

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115901.msg1000664.html#msg1000664

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I had the one claiming to be from Microsoft. He verbally took me to the Event Viewer and reckoned that all the items listed were a virus  Grin
I managed to keep him on the line for about 12 minutes before he hung up on me. My only other claim to fame was having Anglian windows on the line for ages trying to sell me a conservatory until I asked them how they managed this on the 4th floor of a tower block, got quite annoyed at that point.
Let's be careful out there !
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: DanielM
Did he sound indian? not the first time ive heard about this (could even be the same company)

He did. I've had the spoof Microsoft call before and kept him on the phone for 45 mins, when I told him "Sorry, my mistake. I actually have a Mac and not a Windows PC". He hung up and the rang me back to rant about me wasting his time!
The worrying thing this time is the fact that they are using a UK number when cold calling. By the time OFCOM/ICO take down that number and account, they would have scammed quite a few people I think.