cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samknow white box

shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Samknow white box

Thanks DaveyH - I did find some more info. I'm posting a link for anyone else that maybe interested. I like the concept of getting data on my connection & an extra 4w on the electric bill
is not too much to bare Smiley
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/uploads/foundationmodule/SQ303-001-EN-Whitebox-Briefing-Fixed-D02....
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
I signed up 21st March. Still waiting!

Just been accepted 4 weeks later!
Geoff,
York.
shalom2010
Grafter

It looks like they want to monitor Plusnet Smiley
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shalom2010
Thanks DaveyH - I did find some more info. I'm posting a link for anyone else that maybe interested. I like the concept of getting data on my connection & an extra 4w on the electric bill

They can be hacked (well you can get telnet running) so you can reflash  with a  f/w of your choice at end of survey.
NedLudd
Grafter

It looks like they want to monitor Plusnet Smiley

Hmmm!
Funnily enough, I'd just re-applied with a different email addy!
But, they responded to the original addy!  Undecided
Geoff,
York.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine is on it's way, so see what gives with this modem dns falling over etc..... Roll_eyes
The MIGHTY tg582n  Grin
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: NedLudd

Funnily enough, I'd just re-applied with a different email addy!
But, they responded to the original addy!   Undecided

Long time ago since I signed up, but don't they ask which ISP your with anyway, I remember they wanted to know estimated speed.
30FTTC06
Pro

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/uploads/foundationmodule/SQ303-001-EN-Whitebox-Briefing-Fixed-D02....

Thanks for the info, so i guess it acts as a switch then, just monitoring traffic passing through it.
apjashley1
Grafter

Yup! Some pretty nice hardware too, depending on what you get sent - mine was a WDR3600
Finguz
Grafter

Signed up a fortnight ago and received my confirmation email this morning.
10 - 14 days and I should be up and running  Cool
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone using, or that is planning to use, a SamKnows Whitebox, taking any additional security precautions with the way they use their broadband connection, just in case the WhiteBox is sniffing your sensitive internet traffic ?.
Admittedly web traffic for internet banking, credit card transactions, and most web logins are usually passed encrypted using HTTPS,  but I was thinking along the lines of those people who for example use the unencrypted Plusnet email servers where your username and password are transmitted as plain text and easily intercepted.
If the SamKnows WhiteBox turned out to be an extremely elaborate hoax, then having full access to your browsing history, your email and other low security accounts would be valuable to hackers.
30FTTC06
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
just in case the WhiteBox is sniffing your sensitive internet traffic ?.

Microsoft and google have been data mining us for years... !!!!!!!!!
Just to mention a few.
Razer
Grafter

@ Purleigh.
Being the suspecting sort that I am, I've watched this thread with interest, musing at what I imagine are delighted 'government agents' rubbing their hands with glee at the ease by which they've managed to get people to willingly install monitoring equipment on their BB connections so that they don't need to worry about getting the legislation they've wanted through parliament in order to do it, or bother with warrants from some old, crotchety judge.
shalom2010
Grafter

For any privacy concerns read their FAQ - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/faq/monitoring#faq-16
"We should point out that assuming the unit is installed as per the instructions, all network traffic will be flowing through it. However, the unit simply acts as a standard switch or standard router and does not look at any of the packets flowing across your network. It only monitors traffic volumes for the purposes of deciding when to run (or not to run!) the tests and to measure consumption."
30FTTC06
Pro

Plenty of data then Smiley

At present we are performing the following tests:
1    Single & Multi-threaded HTTP download speed test
2    Single & Multi-threaded HTTP based upload speed test
3    Consumption of the connection – the amount of data sent and received
4    Availability of the connection – when it is unavailable
5    Jitter
6    Latency