cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same connect speed even after tweaking SNR

dratddestroyer
Grafter

Same connect speed even after tweaking SNR

I suspect I've got a stuck profile. The dragon has been unplugging the router to stop the kids surfing as punnishment. We hide the antennas off the router instead.
I should normally connect at about 10000. I've tweaked the SNR at my end and connect speed does not alter.
Can somebody have a look and reset it please?
[tt]Phone exchange:     HOVE
Estimated line speed:  11Mb (This may vary between 6.5Mb and 15Mb) - Checked on 2015-02-28 11:13:09
Current line speed:  5.8 Mb

Upstream 1184
Downstream 6652
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.6
SNR Margin(Downstream) 2.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 21.3
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 36.0

Interface     Protocol VPI/VCI   Received Errs  Drops Transmitted Errs Drops
ppp_0_0_38_1 PPPoA    0/38               0      0             0   0[/tt]
8 REPLIES 8
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Same connect speed even after tweaking SNR

Your line is banded at the moment which explains some problems. This should automatically remove, but please let me know if it doesn't and provided the line remains stable, we can remove the banding for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
My line is pretty stable now I have the Billion 7800N. 2.3db SNR on a 1.5 Km line.
I did a restart of the router now and the speed has not changed....
I know I have to leave the router turned on and not to restart it. (The dragon takes off the wifi antennas so the kids go without!)
I wonder how one can tell when the banding has been removed?
(I'm not impatient.. Just curious to know in case the line gets banded again.)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
Taking off the WiFi antennas is not going to do the electronics much good.
Does the almighty 7800N not have a WiFi off button?  I expect that it has restricted access time controls, but that is only of use for predictable sanction times.
Do you have an old wifi router which you can configure for the kids use only as a router (only) and Wifi AP?  Your dragon could then simply turn off / disconnect the "slave" router (thereby terminating the kid's internet access) without causing consternation for your line's DLM.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Townman
Does the almighty 7800N not have a WiFi off button?

If you press and hold the WPS button on the back of the 7800n for 5 seconds it toggles the wireless on/off.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You are getting a lot of FEC errors on the line at the moment (last few days). Removing banding will cause problems. As long as you are in to the master socket still, I think we'll need an engineer on this one. Please raise a report at faults.plus.net so we can pick it up and get something booked.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
I'd have pressed the button but the kids can get to the router and press the button. The wifi antennas are replaced with 50 Ohm dummy loads.
(For sale - 1 clever teenager and one almost clever teenager who thinks they know it all...)
I'm surprised I'm getting FEC errors. It must be after the MTU was reset to the correct 1500 instead of the 1492.
I guess the BT ducts are full of water yet again. OK I'll wait another week and see if the errors clear themselves before deciding to get Openreach out. 
I might bite the bullet and go for FTTC just to get 10000 instead of 6500. 10000 was really nice speed for us.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: dratdestroyer
The wifi antennas are replaced with 50 Ohm dummy loads.
(For sale - 1 clever teenager and one almost clever teenager who thinks they know it all...)
I might bite the bullet and go for FTTC just to get 10000 instead of 6500. 10000 was really nice speed for us.

Hi,
That's good news - smart dragons though can be right dangerous  Grin
Sadly there is a real glut of those commodities on the market these days  Shocked
There is every likely hood that what ever is impeding your current service will also markedly impact a fibre service - most faults are on the d-side of the network - cabinet to premises.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dratddestroyer
Grafter

Can a mod please delete *this* message only for me?