cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows Whitebox Placement

apjashley1
Grafter

SamKnows Whitebox Placement

I'm wondering where in the network I should place the SamKnows Whitebox? (https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/faq)
Here's my setup...
Mac
Printer
iPad   ---- Wireless ---->  Apple AirPort  ---- LAN Cable ---->  Belkin Modem/Router
Phone                       (Bridge mode)                             DHCP + NAT
Neighbour

It's my understanding the Whitebox acts as a bridge, and passively monitors WiFi traffic plus its own LAN clients to find a quiet time to operate.
Should I place it:
1) Into the router with no LAN clients of its own (let it monitor WiFi for traffic)
2) Between the router and the AirPort (all traffic from my local network would then go through its LAN)
3) Into the AirPort (let it monitor WiFi for traffic)
6 REPLIES 6
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: SamKnows Whitebox Placement

I'm going to plug mine into my router & then my WD My Book Live back up will be plugged into the white box as per the instructions. That way it is able to monitor both the wireless traffic & the ethernet traffic into my My Book. Therefore you should plug yours into your Belkin router but not between it & your AE. I think. Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

your normal router should be used for wireless, then the samknows box plugged into your normal router and then any other network goes through the samknows box.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
apjashley1
Grafter

Dvorak - I know that's how it should be, but the Belkin's wireless is rubbish so it's turned off. The AirPort is doing all the wireless stuff, and the Belkin doing the routing and ADSL
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

sorry re-read it, it needs to go in between the router and your aiport. is it an extreme?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
is it an extreme?

No, Express, but does have a client LAN port available
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6