Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salisbury, Britford BT Exchange Upgrade

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Salisbury, Britford BT Exchange Upgrade

Hi,
Can anyone from BT/Plusnet confirm that us that live in the sticks aka Britford, Salisbury are getting a Fibre install?
I have seen the BT engineers just up the road installing a new Green Cabinet for Fibre but I cannot find any news on this on any websites.
Cheers
16 REPLIES 16
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Salisbury, Britford BT Exchange Upgrade

Hi Rimmer Tongue
Have you checked here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ? If you pop your number in, it should tell you whether or not there are any plans for Fibre (FTTC)
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your quick reply!
I have checked that link but all it says is..
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
So I am a little confused as to why they will be installing a FTTC Cabinet but there is no news about it?
jim:quote
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I was the same as you when I had checked http://www.dslchecker.bt.com last December 2013 when my new FTTC cabinet was installed and the checker only got ADSL/ADSL2+ but no FTTC. Until 1st week of February 2014 the dslchecker had finally show up FTTC and two week later it went live for order which I did straight away.
I am sure your will shown up soon.
Useful link for you to setup your own FTTC/FTTP notification pagewatcher here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4313768-how-to-create-your-own-fttcfttp-notification-pagewa...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just taken a look and can see your exchange is FTTC enabled, however at this time there are no plans for a cabinet to be installed in your locality at the moment.
When BT plan to do this, you should see this appear on the BT Availability Checker as linked above.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I am a little confused. You say there is no news to install a FTTC however at the top of the road right next to our Cabinet (54) there a is a large green box but still no news of Fiber been available.
Some news is better than no news & it is frustrated that no one is providing any details on the upgrade.
Cheers
AndyH
Grafter

Has the large new green box been there long?
Does it look anything like this?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Andy.
It has been there a couple weeks & yes it does look like the picture above.
jim:quote
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Some news is better than no news & it is frustrated that no one is providing any details on the upgrade.

You'll have to be patient. I live outside Fordingbridge & received fibre nearly 2 years ago. Our fibre cabs, as illustrated above by Andy H, were installed several months before we went live. The new cab then has to be connected to the existing cab & the "east side" connection panels have to be installed.
When you see the cable layers around then you'll be getting close as this seems to be one of the final actions before going "live". 
However, it's well worth waiting for.  Cheesy
alliasjay
Grafter

The joys of going from city to country living Wink
I have seen quite a few fibre guys over the past few weeks laying the fibre, but I also know that they are laying fibre to Downton so not sure if it was something to do with our cabinet (54).
I have a strong feeling though that it will become active quite soon... even if they aren't telling anyone of any plans. Newest update as of a few days ago the yellow electrical power sticker has been added. Fingers crossed someone this week will start getting everything in place and active. Tadge bored of these 200kbs download speeds also.
Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's not really any information that we can give. We don't get told any earlier than members of public when FTTC is planned or abut to go into service.
As I've mentioned previously, it's best to keep an eye on the BT Availability Checker as this is where any information we can give is taken from. I'm sorry that nothing has been updated as of yet.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
If you phone your Council (Wiltshire Online), they should be able to give you some up-to-date info from Openreach http://www.wiltshireonline.org/index.php/contact-us
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I agree with Chris Pettitt about the availability checker - I've been checking it weekly, looking for a future go-live date, and it was just showing nothing. Then, last Friday, it was available! Cool
Now ordered...  Cool
(Not the same exchange as yours, BTW, but shows it is worthwhile checking regularly)
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Then, last Friday, it was available! Cool
Now ordered...  Cool

Now we wait with baited breath for a successful, trouble free install!!! Wink
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ tijara33
I'm still waiting for the correct install appointment - I chose 3 dates, but was given an appointment on the day after my first available date, and not one of the 3 dates given, so I'm just waiting for my ticket to be updated.