Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704n not listing all devices

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Sagem 2704n not listing all devices

Quote from: Anotherone
Townman, I assume the link is supposed to go to the Port Forwarding thread rather than the poster's profile, but I'm confused as to why Port Forwarding is needed to access each switch.
The fixed IP addresses can't be set up if they are initially outside the pool.

AO,
Thanks for pointing out my incorrect link - copies the wrong hyper-lined text!  Embarrassed
I think it depends on how you understand the term "fixed".  It is potentially ambiguous, referring to "fixed in the device" by direct configuration in the device or "fixed in the DHCP allocation" meaning that the device still asks for an address allocation by DHCP, but will always get the same address.
A device using a "self configured address" which is in a DHCP pool raises the potential of there being two devices on the network with identical IP addresses - the one "hard configured" and any other device being delivered with the same address from DHCP IF the router does not have defensive measures.  Even if it did, its possible that whilst the "hard configured" device is "off network" the router could have allocated out the same address to another DHCP client.
Mixing "hard configured" addressing with DHCP managed addressing in this fashion more often than not leads to tears.  If a device must have a fixed address (as in this case or a printer) then DHCP address reservation (to give its correct term) is the right solution.
Hope that helps - if not let's discuss off-line from here - as in on-line somewhere else. Wink
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Kevin, I repeat what I said in my previous post - the static addresses MUST be WITHIN the pool range on the 2704n.

AO,
Are you saying that a "quirk" of the 2704n is that one can only port forward to a device which is WITHIN the DHCP pool - that is to a device for which it manages the address allocation?
That would be an unusual restriction...  Shocked
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just to clear up any confusion, I'm talking about defining a static address on the 2704n to match the IP address that the device already has. I don't see any conflict with that but those addresses must be within the pool on the 2704n ADSL setup otherwise they get rejected as invalid.
Edit: sorry didn't answer your query - no, just defining the static address in the first place. Once defined as static it's no longer managed in your terminology. Whether the range can be changed after with no effect on Port Forwarding setup, I don' t know, but I don't see the point of change the pool after anyway.
hill47
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your input which was very useful.
I believe I have implemented what you suggested I and can now access my 240v switches, but I can’t get the port forwarding to work on more than one server at a time.  If I get it working for the first server and then set up the forwarding for the second, the first stops working even though the rule is still present in the router. The two IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 and the DHCP starts at 192.168.1.10.  The two server addresses have been fixed on the “expert’s page” a screen grab of which is attached.  The rules open ports 8081 for one server and 8082 for the second, I edited the port numbers for the HTP and HTTPS rules.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?
Thanks, Geoff Cry
PS I have switched on all the PCs on the network and they all have IPs in the DHCP pool i.e. above ......1.10
Anotherone
Champion

Maybe it's because the DHCP starts at 192.168.1.10 instead of 192.168.1.1
I did say in my last post above
Whether the range can be changed after with no effect on Port Forwarding setup, I don' t know, but I don't see the point of change the pool after anyway.

The fixed IP addresses being within the pool range is not detrimental. Try setting the range back and see what happens. If it's still a problem, someone else may know the answer.
Anotherone
Champion

If the above doesn't help, I don't know if the information in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136822.msg1200821.html may help point a finger at the problem.
hill47
Grafter

It is probably not relevant to my problem but, can anyone explain what the last item on the experts page is for?
i.e. Configure the second IP address and subnet mask for LAN interface
Thanks
Geoff
hill47
Grafter

Update:
My ISP has just changed my WAN address and now the remaining port forwarding has stopped working.
The 2704n router seems quicker at returning webpages than my previous TG582n, but the networking is absolute rubbish.
I don't think the charity I support will fund a decent router, I believe they will want me to change ISP.
Plusnet have shot themselves in the foot providing rubbish like this.
Anotherone
Champion

Several points to address here, let's deal with the last one first.
Unless you are on a fixed IP address then it will change everytime you start a new PPP session (will will be the case if you resync as well). This has nothing whatsoever to do with which modem/router you use. The same existed with the TG582n.
If you want/need a fixed IP address, then Plusnet can provide it for a one of fee of £5.
The 2nd IP address is simply what it says, another IP address to access the modem/router in the same way that you do with 192.168.1.254
You haven't said whether changing the pool range back had any effect on the ability to get both your port forward rules working, or whether the information in the link I gave in reply #20 - which in essence (as I understood it) explained that you can't have two rules for the same port and I presume have to modify an existing one.
hill47
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone for your continuing support.
Ref your reply:
Paragraph 1.  I understand all about static and fixed IPs.  The reason for changing router was that the TG582n was causing the connection to drop every 45 mins resulting in an IP change.
Paragraph 2.  I don't know why you would need that, but thanks for the clarification.
Para 3. I have changed the DHCP pool back to the default 1.1 to 1.253
Instead of modifying the http and https apps, I have set up my own named Main Power and Plasma Power, and have sent you screen grabs of all the relevant Router screens.
The IPs 192.168.1.1 and 1.2 are still fixed in the expert page of the router.
I set up one server at a time with the same result as before; when I set up  the second one, the first became inaccessible.
I will be happy if I can one connection to work satisfactorily.  If I can get into one of the servers, I can power up a pc and then access the second server through the local network.
Please note the anomaly on the Port Fwd screen concerning the listing of the devices.  I don't understand why the :ab device is listed in brackets under each device MAC.
Regards, Geoff
Update @ 16:35
I waited awhile to check that the one remaining access could still be made;  it still worked.
I then remotely rebooted the router.
The connection no longer works.

Update Sunday 19th
The networking behaviour of the 2704n is bizarre.
Yesterday only the second server was accessible.
Today, having changed nothing, only the first server is accessible.
I then remotely rebooted the router, which I am assuming has the same effect as the line dropping and a new IP being allocated, to find that I could access neither server.  The forwarding rules were still valid in the router.
I did however notice that the server was no longer listed as a connected device in the router home page.
Using Teamviewer, I then connected to the active PC on the remote network and accessed the server.  I changed an unimportant setting in the server to generate some activity in it which then caused it to be listed as a connected device in the router once more.  The port forwarding then started to work again, allowing me remote access to the server over the internet.
It would appear:
1. that port forwarding does work, but for only one device.
2. If you reboot the router, or perhaps the line drops and a new IP is allocated, then the forwarding stops working. This is is not helpful.
I think it is time to call it a day!

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Did you miss this.....
Your router will drop the wan ip if you reboot it, hence the reason Anotherone suggested the static ip option.
If you want/need a fixed IP address, then Plusnet can provide it for a one of fee of £5.

Quote from: hill47
I waited awhile to check that the one remaining access could still be made;  it still worked.
I then remotely rebooted the router.
The connection no longer works.
hill47
Grafter

Thanks, but I realise what happens to the WAN IP when you reboot the router because we have not paid for a fixed IP.
The point is that the router no longer obeys the port forwarding rule which is still set up in the router after a reboot.
Regards,
Geoff
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry to ask the obvious, but when you remotely rebooted the router how did you determine what the new WAN IP address was in order to retry access to the server on your LAN?
hill47
Grafter

Hi,
      I have left one PC powered up on the remote site which I can access using Teamviewer set-up for unattended access.  Without that  I would be stumped.
Thanks for your interest.
Geoff
Anotherone
Champion

This is not my area of expertise and the 2704n is new to most of us and we are still learning about it, more so in ADSL mode rather than FTTC mode.
I refer back to reply #20.
The thread listed there mentioned about if an existing forwarding rule for a port existed trying to create a second won't work. Now I don't know if anything can change that but first I would check there aren't any already set up for ports 8081, 8082  or even 8080 and if there are, try editing them.
I also notice you are trying to set up two rules, one for TCP and one for UDP, this could be the same issue - do you need both protocols? Try setting up just one protocol for each port and see if you can get that working for each port.
But the other baffling thing is that the devices still seem to be coming up as unknown despite being given fixed IP addresses.
Can I suggest try a factory reset and start again from scratch as something might have got its wotsit in a twist.
Edit: clarify port numbers