cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704 - how to log broadband data used

neilsplace
Hooked

Sagem 2704 - how to log broadband data used

I know its an old router but by interrogating the router is it possible to find out how much WiFi and Ethernet data I've used? Total Gb used on a rolling basis every day. I want to keep a monthly record of data use and hope the router has the information I need.

I've seen the data sent/recv figure but I think its only for the ethernet., not both WiFi and Ethernet.

PS . Plusnet do not or will not readily provide an answer to me about data used, I asked their tech support person. They used to in years gone by but not nowadays.

Thanks

N

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

Re: Sagem 2704 - how to log broadband data used

@neilsplace That data is no longer available. The data sent/received figure is for both WiFi and Ethernet, but will be reset if you unplug the 2704n or you lose DSL connection for any reason.

John
neilsplace
Hooked

Thanks. I noticed the router was Up for over 50 days but the data recv figure did Not agree with my android WiFi tablet and my win10 pc., The total I used was about 20gb for the prev 30 days but the router said about 4gb.

Would a plusnet Hub One provide an accurate log of the data I use?

How can I record my data used in just one place?

N

jab1
Legend

Do you use your tablet away from home a lot? Any data used on 3/4G or away from your home connection will not appear on the router.

It is irrelevant which Hub you use -  it will only record the data actually sent through it, and as previously said, for the times between resets/DSL loss.

As to your final question - you can't.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@neilsplace 

Curious, why are you looking to monitor your usage? How many devices are you looking to monitor?

Dan

neilsplace
Hooked

Thinking that one day I might use a cell network router which might have a monthly data limit (not unlimited). Seems backwards and unsophisticated that plusnet or router cannot reliably log all incoming data, actually I'm sure plusnet know the exact figures but do not want to share the information, even to their customers! Windows updates and streaming services can use a lot of data over a month.

If my individual devices are saying total use is 20gb last month and wget on my 2704 is saying 5gb I think I'll go with the 20. None of it is 3/4g, all via the router (I think!) 

Tags (1)
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Smarty offer unlimited data plan for £20 per month, they use the three network. That's probably much cheaper than you're paying now for ADSL

You would have to buy a suitable router

Dan

jab1
Legend

Plusnet USED to supply usage data in the days before they offered unlimited use, but even then, towards the end of that, the data was a little unreliable as certain categories of traffic were excluded from the figures. No router/hub has ever been able to maintain a running record - the way they function means that whenever they are reset - for whatever reason - the traffic counter is reset.

Your 'I think' comment implies you don't know.

John