Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard not working

white431
Dabbler

Safeguard not working

Hello.

I'm trying to block a site. I once had it blocked before and it worked using Safeguard. It was overidden (by someone else) and now I can't seem to get the site blocked again. Despite removing and re-adding the site to block, making sure Safeguard is turned on etc. The router has been rebooted several times.

I am using a BT Hub, but it is connected to the correct DNS

On this note, I want a site permanently blocked - without an easy option to override it. Is there a better option?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Safeguard not working

Hi there, everything you've tried so far sounds fine. It would be a good idea to try deleting the cache from your browser if you haven't tried that already. You might also want to try setting the router to auto-DNS pickup too. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
white431
Dabbler

It's not cache.

Site is still working across all devices.

DNS is already set to auto.

Any other ideas?
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @white431,

Thank you for confirming.

Since you re-enabled SafeGuard, have you turned the router off then back on? Checking your connection logs a connection was re-established prior to your message posted, usually when SafeGuard is enabled it can take up to two hours to take effect then the equipment requires power cycling.

If the issue persists, let us know and we will raise this with the relevant team for further investigation.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
white431
Dabbler

Yes. I have done this multiple times.

This issue has persisted for quite a few months and I've been through all the steps trying different things. I restarted my router a few days ago after adding the site to the blacklist. It was more than a couple hours that the restart occured.
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @white431,

My apologies, I noticed that I overlooked this. The drop occurred after SafeGuard was activated.

So that we can provide as much information as possible to the right team, would you be able to confirm the exact website(s) that you have tried blocking and how you processed this within SafeGuard.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
white431
Dabbler

I am trying to block:

www.adultwork.com

I have simply visited the Safeguard section after logging in to my account on Plusnet and entered that as a site to be blocked.

After waiting overnight, I restarted my router. Site is still accessible.

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What browser are you using? It wouldn't be google chome would it?

Chrome by default uses google as a proxy, so web connections go via google. Now as google is a safe site it goes past the plusnet saftguard I think. So its google that forwards it onto the final destination, and they don't filter.

Just a thought ...

white431
Dabbler

I wouldn't think it's this and it's across multiple devices. In fact, I have still been able to access the site from Firefox and DuckDuckGo browsers.

Safeguard uses DNS and regardless, outbound traffic will use the DNS servers established in the router.

How do you mean that Chrome uses Google as a proxy?

summers
Aspiring Pro

Yes firefox by default goes straight out - so should be caught by safeguard.

You can see this happening if you go to a site which gives your IP, e.g: http://ipv6-test.com/ if you do this in chrome, it says you come from google ...

Also the dns lookup will be of google, who is known to be safe.

It does show an underlying problem, if you want to do full filtering of your network connection it is hard ...

white431
Dabbler

That would appear to be an IPv6 issue.

For example, at work where our internal network is using IPv4 and IPv6 is disabled, it shows I am coming from Expo-E (our ISP).

I haven't tested that from home, but given that the site is primarily used as a testing ground for IPv6, I wouldn't rely on that.

summers
Aspiring Pro

Any site that shows your IP address would show the same, I just chose the IPv6 one as I've used it recently - but that site shows both your IPv4 and IPv6 address and ISP ...

white431
Dabbler

I'm not seeing that behaviour at my work location.

In fact, just using 4G from my phone and Chrome browser shows my ISP as H3GUK (Three)

In all honesty, I'd be quite surprised if Chrome is using Google as a proxy by default. If it is, it appears to be undocumented or it also appears to be something you need to setup. It would certainly raise some legality and issues with ISPs/Countries where certain sites are blocked.

summers
Aspiring Pro

OOps I gave the wrong IPv6 test, have changed the post above, but try http://ipv6-test.com/ on my tablet this definitely shows me as coming from google.

Noticed this over Christmas, when at my sisters (on sky isp) there using firefox I couldn't get on some sites (with children she has strong rules turned on) - but what was strange is I could go to the sites via chrome, and they worked fine.

Anyway doesn't sound like you problem, as you say firefox does the same. This says fairly clearly that safeguard isn't working ...

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @white431,

There is a problem open currently which affects some customers who have tried to block certain site which result in the site not being blocked correctly. I've added your issue to this problem but obviously this doesn't immediately resolve the issue.