cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH in local network

drraug

SSH in local network

Hi,
I have a standard PlusNet ADSL router with WiFi. I want to SSH between laptops in my local network, but it seems that the router blocks port 22. Are there any solution for that?
Best regards,
Dmitry
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: SSH in local network

welcome to the forum
i doubt it's your router that's blocking it on your lan, no router I've ever owned has blocked anything internally.
possibly a firewall issue?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Some routers don't provide a 'NAT loopback' capability i.e. allow one internal device to access another internal device via the WAN IP address.
Of course, if you're attempting to connect using the LAN-side address directly then it's not this but I thought it worth the mention, particularly if you're using DNS and hence it have not been obvious which address was actually being attempted.
Mathew
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I ssh between my machines all the time, so not a problem (even when I used the supplied router).
As stated are you trying to get to a machine that is the dmz (i.e. via the external ip) or just between machines on the same subnet.
Things to check are that you can ping by name (if you are trying to ssh by name) and that the ssh server is accepting connections (ssh from itself to itself to check) you could also try a network scanner to see if a firewall is blocking it on the local pc's.
You don't say what os you are using so more help needs more info.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

bound to be some flavour of *nix or bsd, 'doze I'd have thought, not much point installing an ssh server for a lan side ssh job..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: dvorak
bound to be some flavour of *nix or bsd, 'doze

Well that covers all most everything current  Grin
I use ssh to my lt as I said as it is not easily accessible and runs as a "server" 24/7 and ssh +x tunnelling let me run gui apps.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Likewise I regularly run internal tasks over SSH - not for security but the fact that many functions are inherently designed to operate that way e.g. rsync backups over a remote shell thus not needing to run a daemon at the other end. Changing the standard model to use another method doesn't really achieve anything (other than unnecessary customisation).
Mathew