cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH being blocked?

CosmicSpork

SSH being blocked?

Hi,
I am having a problem with connecting to SSH on my web hosting. Up until the last week or two it's been fine, but now it simply won't connect. Nothing has changed on my end, I've tried it with my PC, and two laptops and no joy at all. Putty just says "Connection timed out" which isn't much use.
I know for absolute certainty that SSH is still functioning properly on my hosting as I am able to access it from my office connection without any trouble.
I have tried and tested everything I can think of, turned off firewalls, opened all ports on the router, etc, nothing works. It's very important that I have this functioning as I need it for my work. There is seemingly no reason why this should have stopped working and I am forced to put it down to a problem on Plusnet's end.
I have been a customer for years now and have had this particular connection for about 3 years and SSH access for longer than that and it has always worked until now...
I have submitted a question to support in hopes that this might get resolved that way, but if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: SSH being blocked?

Have you checked the PN Firewall in your control panel?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I use SSH to and from my home setup and that is still working OK.
As itsme says check your PN firewall, otherwise could your web host have changed any of the IP addresses which haven't filtered through to the PN domains?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CosmicSpork

I have tried turning the PN firewall off too with no luck...
Also, the hosting resolves to the same IP address it has since I got it years ago so it's not that, I can also telnet to port 22 on my hosting from a box I have remote desktop access to at a datacentre.
I'm at a total loss as to why it's doing this.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Could your hosting company be blocking your PN ip address?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: CosmicSpork
I can also telnet to port 22 on my hosting from a box I have remote desktop access to at a datacentre.

what about SSH, also can you Telnet in to your web host from plusenet.
Can you ping and traceroute your web host from plusenet.
They could have changed the SSH server config.
CosmicSpork

Quote from: adiewoo
Could your hosting company be blocking your PN ip address?

It turns out you were right, I can't understand why it happened though. They have fixed the problem and everything is working fine again.
Thank you to everyone who posted for your input, it is much appreciated Smiley