cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH/SFTP/SCP download speed throttled?

dannyobrian

SSH/SFTP/SCP download speed throttled?

I've just had Plusnet Unlimited fibre installed and I am experiencing extremely slow speeds on SFTP/SSH/SCP port 22.
I know I'm supposed to wait out 10 days for the dust to settle but i'm only getting 50-60kbps on a connection which, when first tested on installation, was rated at 73mbps. Is this port traffic managed or something?
I also noticed that at some points yesterday that speed test results dropped down to 10-15mbps with nothing else running on the LAN, is this all part of the running in process? Can I expect these problems to go away after 10 days?
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: SSH/SFTP/SCP download speed throttled?

Traffic is managed, but it should only be getting prioritized, there shouldn't be any rate limits.
If the problem is with downloading over SFTP, you can use wireshark to check it's being assigned the correct priority. That won't show anything if the issue is with slow SFTP uploads.
If you're experiencing slow speeds at peak times, that's an ongoing issue.
Edit: another possibility if you suspect a traffic management problem, is that you may have somehow ended up on the wrong traffic management profile. The default profile has worse restrictions than the correct profile.
It's also possible that the slow SFTP speeds have nothing to do with your connection, and are limited by whatever is at the other end.
chrisbateskeega

I'm suffering from _extremely_ low connection speeds on SSH on non-standard ports too. Like 4-6kb per second slow. Impossible to perform even basic tasks on a remote server slow. Is there any way to find out what kind of traffic shaping is happening because this is awful!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Using a command line doesn't require that much bandwidth! It's not surprising things running on non-standard ports might not be classified correctly, and the exact traffic management applied depends on what Plusnet product you are on, legacy products usually had more traffic management than the new Unlimited package.
Anyway, you can check the traffic classification with wireshark: http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

chrisbateskeegan: Are you on the Unlimited product? 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager