Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM !!!

ias
Dabbler

SPAM !!!

I been with F9 for 2 years, In this time very little SPAM got through
Now 200 in just 2 days !
Most with obvious SPAM wording in the title .....
Seems the SPAM filters are just not working ?
C'mon F9 please do something about it.
(support log 23772070 - reported 2nd Jan)
49 REPLIES 49
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: SPAM !!!

http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/01/08/fight-against-spam/
Also read about the Postini trial in various threads on this forum.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You should also be receiving an email from us on the topic if you haven't done so already.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

iashton
Grafter

I been with F9 for 2 years, In this time very little SPAM got through
Now 200 in just 2 days !

How come a Force9 customer is complaining about recent spam.
I thought they'd been moved to Postini?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They've only just been moved so the DNS changes will not have perpetrated around the world yet. Also it is 7 days after being moved until the blocking of spam sent direct to mx.core/mx.last is turned on.
Finally, users on Postini are still suck with the old [-SPAM-] tagging until everybody is moved over and the tagging can be based on the Postini headers. Looking at the Postini headers everybody will see a dramatic improvement in the accuracy once that happens.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
canary2211
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
You should also be receiving an email from us on the topic if you haven't done so already.

yes I had a lovely email all about it - it was my only email of the day - which is nice.
Apart from the 17 spam emails direct to my webmail in box and 4 to my spam box.  Previously the ratio was the other way round - for every 1 real email, 2 or 3 spam to inbox and a dozen to spam box.
This really is getting tiresome and dull.  My wife and kids accounts are bombed with filth, my 70 plus Mother the same. And I have a huge collection of Rolex watches.
And I was daft enough to sign for 12 months.
Had Enough. Please fix it. And dont suggest I change my email address - why should I go to that length? I thought I paid PN for a service..... Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: iashton
How come a Force9 customer is complaining about recent spam.
I thought they'd been moved to Postini?

I'm hoping to include clarification on this in a blog post I'm working on but in the mean time the following excerpt from a briefing I wrote for the tech support guys might be helpful for some of you:
One thing that should help you when advising customers, is to think of the migration of users to Postini as a three stage process and to bear in mind that some of the benefits will not be immediate...
1. Move customer to Postini
This is the physical addition of a customer's domains to the Postini systems and the subsequent DNS update. It changes customers mail records to point to Postini instead of our mail servers. In addition to the trialists and some inactive accounts/high users, we have the whole of Force9, Free Online and Metronet at this stage already. The customer benefits from Postini blocking blatant spam before it even reaches them (ie. less spam).
2. Block email sent to user that doesn't go via Postini
One trick used by spammers involves them sending mail directly to our old servers. This bypasses the Postini checking so we need to block attempts to do this. Roughly 7 days after stage 1 this block is enforced. The customer benefits from Postini blocking more blatant spam before it even reaches them (ie. even less spam).
3. Switch on subject line tagging
This involves using Postini's heuristics to tag the subject line of emails it thinks are [-SPAM-] instead of using the system we have in place now. This is the stage that the majority of customers are likely to notice the most. The benefit is that [-SPAM-] tagging will become far more accurate. More email will be identified as [-SPAM-] with less being incorrectly tagged.
We have not implemented stage 3 yet for *any* customers. It is likely we will do this for everybody once they're all at stage 2. This means that customers may still complain about the inaccuracy of the spam filters or subject line tagging as that hasn't been moved to Postini yet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: canary2211
Had Enough. Please fix it. And dont suggest I change my email address - why should I go to that length? I thought I paid PN for a service..... Angry

You could do worse than to request a move to the Postini platform.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ias
Dabbler

As the originator of the post
I've requested Postini ... awaiting the go ahead .
Still have sack load of emails with obvious SPAM titles that get through into INBOX. I reject them back out with outlook if not in address book. But in webmail you cannot do that!, or for that matter under Ubuntu.
I two have a wife a two daughters who will see this rubbish.
Please sort it out or get me onto Postini asap
thanks
Adam1V
Grafter

im also awaiting half a dozen domains. to be honest I cant get on there quick enough.
p.s theres far too many 'Spam!!' posts :-s
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm doing a batch today. If you requested to be added before about 10:00am this morning then you should be moved across. I'll close your ticket once the DNS changes have been completed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rosberg

I had no spam until plus net cocked up when I complained they referred me to their help sheet on spam I dont think so I will just take my business elsewhwere
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

rosberg, there's a few things we could do for you.
Easiest would probably be to change the local part of your email address (bit before the '@') and then black hole everything else. This would then allow you to start from fresh.
Another thing I could do for you if you'd like, is provide you with your own .co.uk domain name. We could then turn off the .plus.com email addresses.
Why not allow us the opportunity to move you to our new spam platform too as you may well find that helps significantly?
I'm pretty sure we can sort your spam problems out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hiflier
Grafter

Bob
If the .plus.com email is requested to be turned off, how would that affect the login to collect mail from the POP3 server?
At the moment my settings are still for the "old" plus mailbox login, i.e. user+XXX. I assume that would have to be changed?Huh
I already have a .co.uk domain (got the free one that was offered) so this could be very useful.
I'm currently experiencing a spam to not spam marking ratio on the webmail of about 6 to 1.
My son's is about the same.

Thanks,
Ian.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

At the moment email sent to ian@username.plus.com and ian@yourdomain.co.uk all goes in to the same mailbox. Irrespective of whether you have the .plus.com turned off, you will therefore collect email in exactly the same way as now using the same logins.
What you need to do is to start telling everybody to use the @yourdomain.co.uk, including any on-line websites (for example you will need to change the email address in your profile on these forums), then when evrybody has stopped using username.plus.com, ask for it to be turned off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)