cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SORRY Netgear n300 dgn2200 problem connecting there must be a solution PLEASE

mkc66
Grafter

SORRY Netgear n300 dgn2200 problem connecting there must be a solution PLEASE

I would really like to solve this problem, I have a new Netgear n300 router that quite regularly icuts my internet connection the only way i can get it to re-establish the connection is on the basic settings page to click apply and even then it is not that fast  (I went for a shower this morning while i waited) i also tried on router status page  then connection status clicking connect and nothing this cant be right and surely it should just re-connect itself my old one (router) used to.
I have tried to reset the router to factory settings and i also ran the router upgrade to make sure it is all up to date,
my only other option is to change providers if this is just a Plusnet problem as it isnt acceptable especially when you have a daughter trying to bid on ebay Sad
Thanks in advance of any help
i
26 REPLIES 26
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SORRY Netgear n300 dgn2200 problem connecting there must be a solution PLEASE

Hi there,
I can see you have a fault ticket open, I'd advise that you've seen a few more drops on there and let the team reopen the investigation for you. If you changed it since the 24th, did you plug it into the master socket and filter everything else? Apologies if you have but it's important for the connection.
mkc66
Grafter

Re: SORRY Netgear n300 dgn2200 problem connecting there must be a solution PLEASE

Hi Matt router was changed on the 21st and we are still plugged into the test socket since Jojo originally said too did a factory reset yesterday and then started afresh but  daily disconnections cant be right my brother is just down the road on o2 and has no problems which is who i was originally going to use but I chose Plusnet as it was an easy switchover as i was with Waitrose,
I did think of my open ticket but to be honest nobody seems to answer very quickly there so i thought i would come back here instead as the team seem to pick up quite quick
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Two things - one, does the older router work better than the netgear? If so it's probably easiest to go back and use that instead. The second, if you have a fault ticket open then it's always worth updating that if you believe you have a fault as that way it's with the guys whose job is to fix faults - they'll be able to test your line and give you advice on what's likely to be happening there. If the router's in the test socket and still dropping (and it also happens with the older router) then you've almost certainly got an issue with the line which needs intervention by our faults team to fix.
mkc66
Grafter

this link refers to my other thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96463.0.html ; where it was decided after performing all checks that the likely problem was my router I had the same ticket open then but with Joanne pilsons help it was thought to be a router issue this i replaced as stated on the 21st and  whoever deals with tickets told me my problem was solved the next day,  i disagreed and said the ticket can stay open as i  dont believe this is fixed  i still have problems now  even with the old router i managed 1 day 4 hours but did lose internet daily which is still happening on the new router i can see i will have to change as this is getting me know where i wouldnt have spent 65 quid on a new router if the other one was working ok i am and have been in the test socket since around about the 13th and i have also noticed my speed is on the decline,
I can see that my only alternative is a different isp as waitrose was delivered from you i changed to plusnet just an internal change as you are one and the same so if the only way to fix this is to take the problem with me i guess thats what i will do as you seem to have given up which ever way i turn
Chrism2
Grafter

Hi there,
I've had a fair amount of experience of a lot of Netgear equipment on PlusNet - including the new N300. (A fine router, if you ask me). My own one is an N300 and I have others (clients) using them too.
That's not to say they are not free of problems. Out of the packet, you'll get lots of issues.
First thing to check is your firmware. Are you running: V1.0.0.36_7.0.36?
If not, you need to grab this one - either do a manual update or try the automatic one. Netgears auto update "feature" is odd. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails to find new firmware, despite new firmware being available. Sometimes it detects new firmware that you can't get from Netgears site. Go figure. Download site is: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18990
Next, check you are testing via a cable - if you are having problems, and you are using wireless, try a cable and see if it improves. If it does not, try changing things such as the radio frequency (fix it, rather than use auto - use a WiFi analyzer such as NetStumbler to see whats broadcasting around you) - select a frequency away from any others in your vicinity.
Change your security method - this helped for me in one instance - one machine kept dropping it's connections.
Presuming you get no differences from wifi and cable - if issues persist, then look at checking your lines. I really do recommend the N300, though - it knocks the stuffing out of the Thomson - and most other routers in the same range.
Do not confuse with the N-150, though, which is a simmering turd of a router not worthy of propping a squeaky door open.
mkc66
Grafter

Hi Chrism2
I reset the router and updated on Sunday and just checked the firmware which is Firmware Version V1.0.0.36_7.0.36  sometimes it drops when I am on the internet sometimes  i just have no connection when i turn my laptop on so not sure if running a cable would make a difference,  i dont know if this is a router problem or a connection  isp problem to be honest.
I dont know how to fix the frequency or have any idea what netstumbler is how to use it etc etc
By security do you mean wep wpa etc if so i am on  WPA2-PSK (AES)
we chose the n300 as it looked to be good i asked a few people and the reviews were good I would just like a connection that either holds for more than a day (feel this is isp issure really) but if it is the router that is dropping then auto reconnecting would be good
thanks for the help Smiley
dick:quote
Chrism2
Grafter

Ok. try checking the statistics page by going to Router Status and then Show Statistics. How does the pppoa uptime compare with your connection time on wireless.
Next time you get a drop, presuming you are wireless, bang a cable in and check it again.
mkc66
Grafter

Hi
my pppoa uptime compared with connection time on wireless is  the same
if i am on my laptop i will try a cable but i sometimes notice it on my iphone especially if it is early morning or late at night
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If I see a router that is misbehaving I reset it to factory settings and try again.  If that does not work I conclude the router is faulty.  Okay, yes, sometimes PPPoE works when it's supposed to be PPPoA and vice versa, so trying both is worthwhile.  But you have done that and it didn't work.  So, as far as I can see, the only thing that is stopping you from concluding that your Netgear router is faulty is that you had a BT Voyager router with similar symptoms.  But BT Voyager routers are getting really old these days and are prone to develop faults.  Is there any possibility you can borrow another router that you know is reliable and see if that suffers from the same problems?   
mkc66
Grafter

no i dont know anyone with a spare thats why i bought the netgear which i got from argos they are excluded from the 28 day return policy but i believe statutory rights are not affected unfortunately  they are currently out of stock in my local store
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Had you considered the "free" Plusnet router?  It's nowhere near as good as a Netgear working properly, in my opinion, but if it works then it's a lot better than anything you have at present.  You have to pay P&P, which is £5.99, I think.  I don't remember what happens if you decide to terminate your contract; maybe you just have to send it back? 
mkc66
Grafter

I did consider it but decided against because as you say they are not as good and to be honest having bought one I"d rather get the problem sorted than try another, and I believe if you leave you pay £40 for the router in the first year
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: mkc66
I have tried to reset the router to factory settings ...

If you succeeded then the router would have forgotten your user name and password for internet access and you would have had to re-enter them.  Maybe you should try one more time, opt out of any form of automatic set-up, make sure the router knows it is in the UK then use the (UK) default settings for PPPoA, enter your username@plusdsl.net and password.  If the router still drops the connection and fails to reconnect then return it as faulty - get a refund if the shop where you bought it is now out of stock and buy a new one somewhere else. 
mkc66
Grafter

I entered everything manually the first time then at the weekend a factory reset upgraded the firmware and used the wizard do different method each time, at the moment I am waiting for Jojo to get back to me Smiley